A delicious falafel recipe thats loaded with sweet potato for a healthy lunch or dinner!
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 1 cup mashed)
- 1 15oz can of chickpeas, (preferably unsalted)
- 1 large handful cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (more if you like it spicier!)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour (can sub regular flour)
- Cook your sweet potato in the microwave or oven until tender. (About 4 minutes in the microwave, or 30 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees F)
- Remove the sweet potato from the skin and place the potato in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to the food processor, along with the sweet potato and remaining ingredients.
- Blend until it forms a thick puree.
- Taste and adjust if it needs more salt, pepper, spice…etc.
- Using a cookie scoop or your hands, form small balls of falafel and place on the baking sheet. Optionally spray with some olive oil cooking spray if you’d like a crispier exterior.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.
Use a cookie scoop to make evenly sized falafel.
If the falafel dough is a bit too sticky, add a bit more flour to your falafel until you can easily scoop out the dough.
I use unsalted chickpeas in this recipe. If you use salted canned chickpeas you may want to reduce the amount of salt added to the recipe.
Spray the falafel with some olive oil cooking spray if you want to give them a bit more of a crispy crust.
- Serving Size: 1 falafel ball
- Calories: 50
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: healthy falafel, baked falafel, sweet potato falafel