Spicy Sweet Potato Falafel
These spicy sweet potato falafel are healthy and delicious! This recipe is naturally vegan and gluten-free and is perfect to meal prep! Make some at the beginning of the week to have healthy lunches for days.
This recipe was originally published on the blog in 2017. It has been updated to make it even better!
I’ve always been a big fan of falafel. And I’ve always been a big fan of sweet potato. So let me tell you that I’ve become a little obsessed with this sweet potato falafel recipe. This is my go-to lunch these days.
These spicy sweet potato falafel are perfect to make on a meal prep day to have on hand for easy lunches or dinners. They reheat perfectly in the oven or a toaster oven and can be enjoyed tossed in salads, wraps or on their own with your favourite hummus.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This recipe is super easy to put together. Just throw all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse. No fussing with cutting and chopping!
- These spicy sweet potato falafel go well with just about anything. They’re great to add to salads, in wraps, in a buddha bowl or even just on their own.
- The sweet potato adds a delicious flavour to this falafel and makes them soft and fluffy on the inside.
- These falafel store well in the fridge for a week and can be reheated in the oven or toaster oven whenever you want to enjoy them.
How to make spicy sweet potato falafel
Add all the falafel ingredients to a food processor.
Pulse until the ingredients are well combined.
Use a cookie scoop to scoop our the falafel into balls and bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use a cookie scoop to make evenly sized falafel.
- If the falafel dough is a bit too sticky, add a bit more flour to your falafel until you can easily scoop out the dough.
- I use unsalted chickpeas in this recipe. If you use salted canned chickpeas you may want to reduce the amount of salt added to the recipe.
- Spray the falafel with some olive oil cooking spray if you want to give them a bit more of a crispy crust.
More sweet potato recipes to try
- Roasted sweet potato and pineapple curry
- Moroccan stuffed sweet potatoes
- Spiced carrot, lentil and sweet potato soup
A delicious falafel recipe thats loaded with sweet potato for a healthy lunch or dinner!
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 1 cup mashed)
- 1 15oz can of chickpeas, (preferably unsalted)
- 1 large handful cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (more if you like it spicier!)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour (can sub regular flour)
- Cook your sweet potato in the microwave or oven until tender. (About 4 minutes in the microwave, or 30 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees F)
- Remove the sweet potato from the skin and place the potato in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to the food processor, along with the sweet potato and remaining ingredients.
- Blend until it forms a thick puree.
- Taste and adjust if it needs more salt, pepper, spice…etc.
- Using a cookie scoop or your hands, form small balls of falafel and place on the baking sheet. Optionally spray with some olive oil cooking spray if you’d like a crispier exterior.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.
Use a cookie scoop to make evenly sized falafel.
If the falafel dough is a bit too sticky, add a bit more flour to your falafel until you can easily scoop out the dough.
I use unsalted chickpeas in this recipe. If you use salted canned chickpeas you may want to reduce the amount of salt added to the recipe.
Spray the falafel with some olive oil cooking spray if you want to give them a bit more of a crispy crust.
- Serving Size: 1 falafel ball
- Calories: 50
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: healthy falafel, baked falafel, sweet potato falafel
If you tried these Spicy Sweet Potato Falafel or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!