These spicy sweet potato falafel are light and soft and make the perfect lunch, snack, or dinner! They’re oil-free and loaded with protein!
I’ve always been a big fan of falafel. And I’ve always been a big fan of sweet potato. So let me tell you that I’ve become a little obsessed with this sweet potato falafel recipe. This is my go-to lunch these days.
As much I love cooking and creating recipes in the kitchen, on many days I’m just in a rush and to be totally honest with you, I just don’t want to have a million dishes to clean! Cue these spicy sweet potato falafel!
Firstly, they’re made pretty much all in the food processor so you don’t have to start fussing with cutting and chopping ingredients. (Perfect for those maximum lazy days;)) Secondly, these go with just about anything. You can toss them in a salad, add them in a wrap, or even throw them on some spaghetti with tomato sauce! My favourite way to enjoy them is with some salad and a creamy avocado dipping sauce. (As you’ll see in the recipe below!)
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 1 cup mashed)
- 1 19oz can of chickpeas (about 2 cups)
- 1 large handful cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ onion
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne (more if you like it spicier!)
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup whole grain flour (I used spelt-sub gluten-free flour if needed)
- 2 avocados
- 1 small handful cilantro
- 2 tbsp dairy free plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- sunflower sprouts
- kalamata olives
- pickled red cabbage (or regular red cabbage)
- Cook your sweet potato in the microwave or oven until tender. (About 4 minutes in the microwave, or 30 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees)
- Remove the sweet potato from the skin and place the potato in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to the food processor, along with the remaining ingredients.
- Blend until it forms a thick puree.
- Taste and adjust if it needs more salt, pepper, spice...etc.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into small circles and place on the baking sheet.
- Place your falafel in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown outside.
- For the avocado sauce, blend all ingredients together in a blender or food processor until creamy.
- Serve falafel with along side some salad and the avocado sauce.
*tip: If the dough begins to stick to your hands while rolling, simply rinse your hands with water, dry, and get rolling again.
*You can also place your dough in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to firm up if it is a bit sticky.