A hearty and creamy white bean soup packed with protein and fiber!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped x
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 1 19oz can cannellini beans
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1/2 tsp herbs de provence (can sub some dried thyme or oregano)
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes (optional for spice)
- 1 litre low-sodium vegetable broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup kale, stems removed and chopped.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot then add the shallots and a pinch of salt letting cook on medium heat for 1-2 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped carrots and celery and cook on medium high heat for 5 minutes until the veggies are tender.
- Add the cannellini beans, sprig of rosemary, herbs de provence, chilli flakes, vegetable broth brinigning everything to a boil, then reducing heat to low and covering to let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the sprig of rosemary and transfer 1/3 of the soup to a blender (can alterntively use a hand blender) and blend until smooth. Add back to the soup and mix togehter.
- Add the kale to the soup and stir until wilted.
- Serve this soup with some freshly chopped herbs and a sprinkle of chili flakes if desired.
Preheat your pot on the stove before adding the oil. This will help prevent anything from sticking to the pot.
Use shallots rather than cooking onions in this recipe. Shallots are sweeter in flavour and have a buttery elemtnt to them, which results in a more delicious soup!
Don’t skip browing the veggies in the pan. This helps to build flavour in the soup.
You don’t have to blend any of this soup, but blending 1/3 of the soup helps result in a creamier soup. Blended or not, this soup is delicious either way!
This recipe calls for cannellini beans, but you can substitute any white bean if needed.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 160
- Sodium: 290mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: soup with white beans, vegetarian bean soup, Italian bean soup