A heavenly apple cider donut that is baked rather than fried and comes together in 30 minutes!
- 2 cups flour (I use white spelt flour, can sub regular flour or 1–1 gluten-free flour.)
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups apple cider
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted (can sub melted coconut oil or vegetable oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon sugar topping
- coconut oil based cooking spray (can sub melted oil or vegan butter and just dunk each donut)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined. Do not overmix. (It’s okay if theres a few small clumps in the batter. It doesn’t need to be completely smooth.)
- Using a piping bag, (or a large ziplock bag with the corner cut out) pipe the dough into the donut moulds filling 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- To coat the donuts, mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a ziplock bag. Spray each donut with the cooking spray and then place each donut in the bag and shake it around until it’s covered. Repeat with all donuts.
Make sure to use apple cider and NOT apple juice in this recipe.
Don’t leave out the apple cider vinegar. You can substitute white vinegar if needed. The vinegar reacts with the baking soda to create a light and fluffy donut.
Don’t overmix the batter. If you do you will end up with tough donuts, rather than light and fluffy donuts.
Store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days.
These donuts are best enjoyed the same day they are made.
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 20g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2.5g
Keywords: vegan donuts, apple cider recipe, baked donut recipe