this vegan lemon asparagus pasta is made with a cashew cream sauce and comes together in 30 minutes!
- 300 grams rigatoni pasta (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch peices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked in hot water for 1–2 hours
- 1 cup water
- salt & pepper to taste
- Salt your pasta water and cook the pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/3 cup of the pasta water after cooking.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat, then add the aspsaragus and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the asparagus from the pan then add the shallot and garlic to the pan, letting cook on medium heat for 1-2 minutes. (Add a touch more olive oil if needed) Add the lemon zest and chili flakes and mix together.
- Blend the cashews and water together until smooth then add to the pan, mixing everything together. Add the pasta, pasta water, and asparagus and mix together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Don’t forget to salt the pasta water! This makes all the difference in a delicious tasting pasta. Reserve 1/3 cup of the pasta water after the pasta is done cooking to add back to the sauce. This helps the sauce thicken and stick to the pasta. Make sure to cut off the bottom 2-inches of the asparagus and discard. This part of the asparagus is tough and not great for eating. Make sure to use raw unsalted cashews. Roasted cashews will not work in this recipe. You can also substitute raw cashews with raw hemp seeds in this recipe
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 380
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 290mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 12g
Keywords: dairy-free pasta, asparagus pasta, lemon pasta, vegan pasta