A vegan moussaka made with lentils and topped off with creamy mashed potatoes!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 can of lentils (approx 14oz)
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks (or 3–4 medium potatoes)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- splash of almond milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the eggplant: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the eggplant into slices, about 1cm thick. Line the eggplant on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Cook the lentils: Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and garlic and let cook for 2 minutes on medium heat. Net add the carrot, celery, bay leaf, thyme and cinnamon and let cook for 5 minutes until the veggies are tender. Add the lentils, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt and pepper then lower the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Potato layer: boil the potatoes until tender. Drain the water and add the vegan butter, almond milk, salt and pepper. Mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Putting it all together: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Layer the eggplant, lentils and mashed potatoes in a baking dish and bake for 30-45 minutes. Optionally place on broil for 1 minute to brown the top and serve.
If you want to broil the Moussaka make sure to keep a very close eye on it so it doesn’t burn! It will only need 30-60 seconds on broil.
Don’t rush cookies the veggies in the pan for the lentil filling. This is where all the flavour is built!
If you want to make mini lentil moussakas, you can make this recipe in individual ramekins and bake them for 20-25 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 560
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 60g
- Fiber: 12g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: lentil moussaka, vegetarian moussaka, vegan moussaka