This vegan lentil moussaka features flavourful lentils, eggplant and is topped with creamy mashed potatoes for some simple healthy comfort food!
Let’s get straight to the point: It’s cold out and all I want to eat is warm and comforting foods.
That’s where this vegan lentil moussaka comes in. This recipe has been on repeat this week for lunches & dinners. (aka I made a big batch and just decided to eat it for every meal until theres none left.)
We start off with a base of oven roasted eggplant, top it with some saucy herby lentils, and then top all of it off with some uber creamy mashed potatoes. Like, I can’t even tell you how happy it makes me to eat all these layers together.
How to make a vegan moussaka
Traditionally, moussaka is made by frying up the eggplants, is filled with ground meat, and topped off with a bechamel sauce.
The moussaka was doing today is a little bit different. Although you can definitely make a vegan version of a bechamel sauce to top off the moussaka, (just use vegan butter and non-dairy milk) I decided for this recipe that I wanted to keep things a little simpler and healthier and just top it off with some creamy mashed potatoes.
Making this vegan lentil moussaka is pretty simple.
We roast the eggplant, sauté the lentils with herbs and seasoning, boil and mash the potatoes, and then layer everything together in a large baking dish. Eggplant on the bottom, lentils in the middle, and potatoes on top.
Then it all gets baked up in the oven and it’s ready to serve!
A few notes on the recipe
This vegan lentil moussaka can be made with a few different variations. If you really love the taste and texture of a bechamel sauce you can definitely still make one and use it top off the moussaka. I like this recipe for a vegan bechamel.
If you’re not a fan of eggplant, you can use sliced zucchini instead for the bottom layer of the dish. You can also add in some sliced potatoes too.
I like to place the moussaka in the oven on broil for 1 minute before serving so the top gets nice and browned. If you want to broil the moussaka make sure to keep a very close eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
Enjoy and stay cozy friends!
Some other cozy favourites from the blogPrint
A vegan moussaka made with lentils and topped off with creamy mashed potatoes!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 can of lentils (approx 14oz)
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- splash of almond milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the eggplant: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the eggplant into slices, about 1cm thick. Line the eggplant on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Cook the lentils: Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and garlic and let cook for 2 minutes on medium heat. Net add the carrot, celery, bay leaf, thyme and cinnamon and let cook for 5 minutes until the veggies are tender. Add the lentils, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt and pepper then lower the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Potato layer: boil the potatoes until tender. Drain the water and add the vegan butter, almond milk, salt and pepper. Mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Putting it all together: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Layer the eggplant, lentils and mashed potatoes in a baking dish and bake for 30-45 minutes. Optionally place on broil for 1 minute to brown the top and serve.
Top off this moussaka with some fresh parsley!
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 607
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 70g
- Fiber: 12g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: How to make vegan moussaka, healthy moussaka recipe