Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
This Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie is loaded with lentil, peas and big flavour. It starts by cooking up veggies in a pan and deglazing them with wine. Then it all gets topped with creamy mashed potatoes and baked to perfection!
A healthy shepherd’s pie recipe
This Sheperd’s Pie is one of those recipes that is perfect for a cozy weeknight dinner that can be prepared ahead of time.
This recipe is healthy and uses lentils as the base instead of ground meat. The lentils are cooked off in a pan with onions, celery, and carrots (the big flavour makers) and then deglazed with wine. This is the most important step in this recipe that gives it BIG flavour!
Then these pies get topped off with creamy mashed potatoes and it all gets baked to perfection and broiled from some crispiness.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This Sheperd’s pie recipe can be made in individual ramekins, or in a baking dish
- This recipe is packed with protein and fibre so it will keep you feeling full and satisfied long after dinner is over.
- It’s a great recipe to make for food prep and can also be frozen and taken out for dinner whenever you want!
How to make Vegan Lentil Sheperd’s Pie
Start by browning all the veggies in a pan, then deglaze the pan with some red wine. Take your time with this step, this is where all the flavour builds. Next, add in the lentils and peas and mix everything together.
Boil and mash the potatoes with some vegan butter until your desired texture. Then take a baking dish or mini ramekins and layer the lentil mixture followed by the potato mixture on top.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes and optionally broil for 1-2 minutes to get that golden brown colour on top.
What vegetables go with shepherd’s pie?
There are many different vegetables you can add to this Sheperd’s Pie. This recipe uses carrots, celery peas and lentils, but you can also try adding in the following vegetables:
- chickpeas or beans
- chopped asparagus, broccoli or cauliflower
- Sauteed leafy greens like spinach or kale
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Chop the onion, carrot and celery into very small pieces. This will give a better texture to the dish.
- Take your time when browning the vegetables. This is where all the flavour builds, so you don’t want to skip this step.
- If you want to have a golden brown colour on top, broil the Sheperd’s pie for just 1-2 minutes before serving.
- If prepping this recipe in advance, assemble the shepherd’s pie and then skip the baking until your ready to eat. You can also freeze it at this step.
More lentil recipes to tryPrint
This Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie is a delicious and cozy meal that’s packed with protein!
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine to deglaze
- 1 1/2 cups lentils (canned or pre-cooked)
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup-3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsk paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrot, celery and garlic to the pan with a pinch of salt and pepper and let brown, stirring constantly for 6-7 minutes until the veggies are nice and brown. (They will cook down a lot)
- Once the veggies are browned, add the red wine, stirring until the liquid is evaporated, then reduce heat to medium.
- Add the lentils, peas, tomato paste, 1/2 cup vegetable broth, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper and stir together letting cook for 5 minutes on medium-low heat. If the lentils become too dry add the remaining 1/4 cup broth if needed.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- To prep the potatoes, peel and chop into large chunks and add to a pot of boiling water, boiling for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain the water, then add the almond milk, butter and salt and mash with a potato masher.
- Scoop the lentil mixture into ramekins or baking dish and top with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- *Optional* turn the oven on broil for 2 minutes to make the tops crispy
Chop the onion, carrot and celery into very small pieces. This will give a better texture to the dish.
Take your time when browning the vegetables. This is where all the flavour builds, so you don’t want to skip this step.
If you want to have a golden brown colour on top, broil the Sheperd’s pie for just 1-2 minutes before serving.
If prepping this recipe in advance, assemble the shepherd’s pie and then skip the baking until your ready to eat. You can also freeze it at this step.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 450
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 15g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: vegetarian Shepherd’s pie, Vegan Shepard’s pie
If you tried this Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!