This vegan lentil shepherd’s pie is loaded with lentil, peas and big flavour. It starts by cooking up veggies in a pan and deglazing them with wine. Then it all gets topped with creamy mashed potatoes and baked to perfection!
Shepherd’s pie! Seems like the right thing to make about this time of year, no?
The days are lighter and sunnier, and the snow is (barely) starting to melt, so while I’ve put my crockpot away, I still feel in need of these somewhat cozy types of food.
This recipe for vegan lentil shepherd’s pie is a healthy recipe that uses lentils as the base instead of ground meat. The lentils are cooked off in a pan with onions, celery, and carrots (the big flavour makers) and then deglazed with wine. This is the most important step in this recipe that gives it BIG flavour!
Then they get topped off with creamy mashed potatoes and it all gets baked to perfection and broiled from some crispiness.
I served these up in individual ramekins because well…they’re cute and everyone loves mini versions of things! They also make a perfect portion for one, but you can bake up this recipe in one larger dish too if you prefer!
You can also try adding in any of your favourite veggies to the mix or topping it off with mashed sweet potato instead of regular potato. (Which is delicious!)
This vegan lentil shepherd’s pie is:
- High in protein
- High in Fiber
This recipe also stores great in the fridge and can easily be made ahead of time and reheated when you’re ready to eat!
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 garlic cloves (skins removed)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine to deglaze
- 1 1/2 cups lentils (canned or pre-cooked)
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup-3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Chop the onion, carrot and celery large chunks and then add to a food processor along with the garlic cloves. Pulse until chopped into small pieces.
- Heat the avocado oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Add the vegetable mixture to the pan with a pinch of salt and pepper and let brown, stirring constantly for 6-7 minutes until the veggies are nice and brown. (They will cook down a lot)
- Once the veggies are browned, add the red wine, stirring until the liquid is evaporated, then reduce heat to medium.
- Add the lentils, peas, tomato paste, 1/2 cup vegetable broth, thyme, garlic powder and salt and pepper and stir together letting cook for 5 minutes on medium-low heat. If the lentils become too dry add the remaining 1/4 cup broth if needed
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Chop the potatoes into large chunks and add to a pot of boiling water.
- Boil for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain the water, then add the almond milk, butter and salt and mash with a potato masher.
- Scoop the lentil mixture into ramekins or baking dish and top with the mashed potatoes
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- *Optional* turn the oven on broil for 2 minutes to make the tops crispy
Try using sweet potato to top these shepherds pies and any veggies you love in the filling!
This recipe stores well in the fridge and can be made ahead of time
If you love this vegan lentil shepherd’s pie you’ll also love these roasted stuffed sweet potatoes with chipotle quinoa!