This Vegan Pho recipe comes together in just 30 minutes for a quick and easy soup that’s packed with flavour
- 1 large onions, peeled and cut in half
- 1 large peice of ginger, cut in half (about 3 inches)
- 2 star anis
- 5 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 dried shitake
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp white miso paste (can sub dark miso)
- 2 tsp soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- baby bok choy (or any vegetables you love)
- green onions, chopped
- Rice noodles
- Bean sprouts
- Hoisin sauce
- Place the onion and ginger face down on a baking pan and broil in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until charred on top.
- Add the onion, ginger, star anise, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick and shitake to a pot on medium-high heat and let toast for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Then add the vegetable broth, miso paste, soy sauce and coconut sugar and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the soup to remove all the spices then add the green onions and bok choy or vegetables of choice and let cook in the soup on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Serve with rice noodles, bean sprouts, cilantro and green onions.
Broil or roast the onion and ginger in the oven before adding them to the pot. This helps to build up a really nice flavour and will give you a more flavourful rich-tasting broth.
Cook the rice noodles separately. If you cook the rice noodles in the broth, they will absorb a lot of the liquid and you will end up with much less soup broth for serving.
This broth is even better the next day. Store it in a Tupperware in your fridge and enjoy it the next day for an even more flavourful soup.
Store noodles separately so they don’t become soggy.
Add some soft tofu to this recipe if you want some extra protein!
*Nutrition information includes 1/2 cup rice noodles per serving
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: vegetarian pho, vegan pho broth, homemade vegan pho,