This Vegan Pho recipe is easy to make and is infused with warming spices like cinnamon and star Anis. It’s perfect to enjoy as an appetizer or to have a larger bowl for a meal!
This recipe is sponsored by Mountain Rose Herbs.
An easy Vegan Pho recipe
Pho soup is a traditional Vietnamese soup that can be made with a beef broth, chicken broth or vegetarian broth. This recipe for Vegan Pho is made with a quick and easy vegetarian broth.
Rather than making veggie stock from scratch, we’re going to use a store-bought vegetable broth and infuse it with spices from Mountain Rose Herbs. I like to use the spices from Mountain Rose Herbs since they are high-quality, organic and use sustainable practices.
The spices used in this recipe are:
Shitake and Reishi mushrooms aren’t typically found in Pho soup, but they give a delicious savoury umami flavour to the vegetarian broth, so I highly recommend adding them!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This recipe is perfect for the colder months and the broth is super warming and cozy.
- This Pho soup comes together in about 30 minutes since it uses a hack to make a quick and simple broth. (So no need to fuss in the kitchen for hours making a homemade veggie stock!)
- You can enjoy this soup as an appetizer or have a big bowl for a delicious meal that is vegan and gluten-free.
What vegetables are served with pho?
Traditionally a Pho recipe is served with a side of beansprouts, Thai basil and mint.
Though you can serve this Vegan Pho recipe with any type of vegetables you love. For this recipe, I use bok choy and beansprouts. Some other delicious veggies you could add to this soup are:
- Broccoli/Chinese broccoli
- Snow peas
- Steamed carrots
How to make Vegan Pho
Start by broiling the onion and garlic in the oven for about 15 minutes until blackened on top. Then add them to the pot along with the spices and mushrooms and toast for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. This will help to release the delicious flavours in the spices!
Add the veggie broth to the pot, bring to a boil then let simmer on low covered for 15-20 minutes.
Strain the soup to remove the spices then add the soup back to the pot with the bok choy and let the bok choy and green onion and cook in the soup on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes until tender.
Cook the rice noodles separately and then plate the soup in the bowl with some rice noodles, bean sprouts and herbs.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Broil or roast the onion and ginger in the oven before adding them to the pot. This helps to build up a really nice flavour and will give you a more flavourful rich-tasting broth.
- Cook the rice noodles separately. If you cook the rice noodles in the broth, they will absorb a lot of the liquid and you will end up with much less soup broth for serving.
- Top this soup off with a squeeze of sriracha and hoisin sauce if you like! This is a traditional way to serve Pho.
- This broth is even better the next day. Store it in a Tupperware in your fridge and enjoy it the next day for an even more flavourful soup. Store noodles separately so they don’t become soggy.
More vegan soup recipes to try
This Vegan Pho recipe comes together in just 30 minutes for a quick and easy soup you’ll love!
- 1 large onions, peeled and cut in half
- 1 large peice of ginger, cut in half (about 3 inches)
- 2 star anis
- 5 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 dried shitake
- 1 reishi mushroom slice
- 1 litre vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- baby bok choy (or any vegetables you love)
- green onions, chopped
- Rice noodles
- Bean sprouts
- Hoisin sauce
- Place the onion and ginger face down on a baking pan and broil in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until charred on top.
- Add the onion, ginger, star anis, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick, shitake and reishi to a pot on medium-high heat and let toast for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Then add the vegetable broth, miso paste, soy sauce and coconut sugar and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the soup to remove all the spices then add the green onions and bok choy or vegetables of choice and let cook in the soup on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until tedner.
- Serve with rice noodles, bean sprouts and whatever you like!
Broil or roast the onion and ginger in the oven before adding them to the pot. This helps to build up a really nice flavour and will give you a more flavourful rich-tasting broth.
Cook the rice noodles separately. If you cook the rice noodles in the broth, they will absorb a lot of the liquid and you will end up with much less soup broth for serving.
This broth is even better the next day. Store it in a Tupperware in your fridge and enjoy it the next day for an even more flavourful soup.
Store noodles separately so they don’t become soggy.
Add some soft tofu to this recipe if you want some extra protein!
*Nutrition information includes 1/2 cup rice noodles per serving
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 700mg
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: vegetarian pho recipe, vegan pho recipe, homemade veggie pho broth
If you tried this Vegan Pho or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!