This vegan mac and cheese recipe is inspired by spinach and artichoke dip and is simply delicious!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked in water overnight then drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp nutritonal yeast
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups spinach
- 8 artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 250 grams pasta of choice
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- breadcrumbs to top (optional)
- Add the cashews, water, nutritional yeast, dijon mustard, onion powder, salt and pepper to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, reseving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or pan on medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the spiach and cook for another minute until the spinach is wilted down, then add the artichoke hearts and cook an additional minute.
- Add the cashew sauce, pasta and pasta water to the pot mixing everything together on medium heat until it begins to thicken.
- Transfer the mac and cheese to a baking dish, top with croutons and broil in the oven for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately.
Salt the pasta water. This adds flavour directly into the pasta.
Slightly undercook the pasta. The pasta will continue to cook in the sauce. If the pasta is well-done, to begin with, it may get a bit mushy once cooked together with the other ingredients.
Serve immediately. This dish is best enjoyed right after it’s made.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese recipe, mac and cheese with spinach