Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Mac and Cheese
This Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Mac and Cheese is loaded with sauteed spinach and artichokes and made with a creamy cashew “cheese” sauce. It’s easy to make and can also be made gluten-free!
Is there anything out there that’s more comforting than a big bowl of mac and cheese? While I love a comforting bowl of pasta, mac and cheese remain my favourite when it comes to comfort food.
This recipe for Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Mac and Cheese does not disappoint in the comfort department!
It made with veggies and garlic and comes together in a rich creamy sauce that is completely dairy-free. You can serve this mac and cheese recipe directly from the stove, or broil it with some breadcrumbs for an extra crispy topping. Either way, it’s delicious!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This mac and cheese is completely vegan, can be made gluten-,(with gf pasta) and is loaded with spinach for a healthier version of the classic dish.
- This recipe only takes 30 minutes to make, so it’s perfect for those busy weeknights!
- The sauce for the mac and cheese can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge, so you can throw together a batch of this recipe whenever you like!
Ingredients in vegan mac and cheese
- Pasta: I use gluten-free macaroni noodles in this recipe, but feel free to use any type of pasta you love.
- Raw cashew: cashews make up the base of the creamy sauce.
- Nutritional yeast: this gives the sauce that cheesy type of flavour. Nutritional yeast is also high in vitamin B12!
- Dijon Mustard: A classic ingredient used in mac and cheese.
- Onion Powder: This gives some more depth of flavour to the “cheesy” sauce
- Garlic: Add as much as you like to sautee with the spinach!
- Spinach: The recipe may seem to call for a lot of spinach, but it wilts down A LOT. So don’t be shy with the spinach!
- Artichoke hearts: Either canned or jarred work.
How to make Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Mac and Cheese
Sautee the garlic and spinach in a pot until the spinach wilts down, then add the artichoke hearts and continue to sautee for a couple of minutes.
Make the cheesy sauce by blending the sauce ingredients together in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. (Make sure there’s no little bits of cashews remaining.) Then add the cream sauce, followed by the cooked pasta to the pot. Mix everything together on medium heat until the sauce starts to thicken.
Either serve from the pot or optionally transfer to a baking dish topped with breadcrumbs and broil in the oven until the top is crispy.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Salt the pasta water. This adds flavour directly into the pasta.
- Slightly undercook the pasta. The pasta will continue to cook in the sauce. If the pasta is well-done, to begin with, it may get a bit mushy once cooked together with the other ingredients.
- Serve immediately. This dish is best enjoyed right after it’s made.
More mac and cheese recipes to try
- Vegan Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
If you tried this Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Mac and Cheese or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This vegan mac and cheese recipe is inspired by spinach and artichoke dip and is simply delicious!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked in water overnight then drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp nutritonal yeast
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups spinach
- 8 artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 250 grams pasta of choice
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- breadcrumbs to top (optional)
- Add the cashews, water, nutritional yeast, dijon mustard, onion powder, salt and pepper to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, reseving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or pan on medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the spiach and cook for another minute until the spinach is wilted down, then add the artichoke hearts and cook an additional minute.
- Add the cashew sauce, pasta and pasta water to the pot mixing everything together on medium heat until it begins to thicken.
- Transfer the mac and cheese to a baking dish, top with croutons and broil in the oven for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately.
Salt the pasta water. This adds flavour directly into the pasta.
Slightly undercook the pasta. The pasta will continue to cook in the sauce. If the pasta is well-done, to begin with, it may get a bit mushy once cooked together with the other ingredients.
Serve immediately. This dish is best enjoyed right after it’s made.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese recipe, mac and cheese with spinach