I don’t know about you, but in my world, I require a chocolate version of everything. (Okay. maybe not chocolate salad.) So naturally when I was making coconut bliss balls, I needed to come up with a way to make them suit my cocoa needs. These chocolate coconut bliss balls are not only melt in your mouth chocolaty, but the dates give them a rich salted caramel flavor.
These chocolate coconut bliss balls are a great treat that can be stored in the fridge for weeks! You can eat them as a per-workout energy snack, with your afternoon cup of tea, or even for dessert! I personally love to carry a couple around in my purse for when hunger strikes. It’s a great way to avoid binge-eating on unhealthy foods when you’re out for the day.
- 3/4 cup pitted medjool dates*
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut (plus extra for rolling)
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Place all your ingredients in a food processor and blend until it forms a dough. It should be soft enough that you mold it with your hands. (If it is not, add some extra dates)
- Take a plate, and fill with shredded coconut for rolling.
- Using the palms of hands, roll dough into small balls, then rolling into your plate of coconut.
- Place finished balls onto a plate, and then transfer to the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
*Medjool dates are a specific type of dates that are larger, softer, and have a more caramel flavor than regular dates. I highly recommend using Medjool dates in baking, however, if you cannot find them where you are, you can simply soak some regular dates in warm water for 5-10 minutes before use. This will allow your dates to absorb some liquid, making them softer, and help them bind your chocolate coconut bliss balls.