This forbidden rice salad with turmeric and kale is a great dish loaded with superfood benefits. Make up a batch today for a quick, easy, and satisfying dish!
I recently watched a documentary on Netflix that was on all things rice. Now I’ve always been a huge rice fan, (especially since I love asian food) but after watching this show, I grew a whole new level of appreciate for the tiny grain. There are tons of different types of rice. They come in all kinds of different shapes, sizes, and colours, and each one is unique in texture and taste.
Today’s recipe for forbidden rice salad with turmeric and kale highlights one of my favourites of the rice family-black rice! (Also known as forbidden rice as it was forbidden to be consumed by anyone who wasn’t royalty in ancient China.)
This powerful little grain in naturally gluten-free, a good source of fibre, and contains more protein than it’s white counterpart. I love enjoying this dish with some sweet potato or squash on the side to make it more of a hearty meal, but you can enjoy this salad just on it’s own for a perfectly balanced plant-based lunch or dinner.
- ¾ cup forbidden rice, uncooked
- 2 large leaves of kale, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon jucie
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 small purple onions or shallots, finely sliced
- ¼ cup sliced almonds toasted
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside and let cool.
- Add your shredded kale to a large bowl. Pour 1 tbsp lemon juice on top and gently massage with your hands. (This allows the kale to break down and become more tender)
- Next add the carrots, sliced shallots, and toasted almonds.
- Add in the black rice and mix until combined.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and pour on top the salad, mixing until evenly coated.
- Taste and adjust if you like more salt, lemon, or spice.