If you love cornbread then you’ll love these cornbread waffles with blueberry compote! They make the perfect summer breakfast!
One of my favourite foods to eat in the summer is cornbread. I can honestly just sit down and eat an entire batch for a meal at a summer bbq or weekend brunch. So I decided to make a recipe that combines one of my favourite summer foods, with one of my favourite breakfast foods!
These cornbread waffles with blueberry compote make a great weekday or weekend brunch. These waffles are 100% plant-based and can be made gluten-free if needed. I love making a batch of these on Sunday mornings for a healthy breakfast that feels like eating dessert!
Now, some of you may be saying “but what if I don’t have a waffle press?” Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered! You can easily make this recipe into cornbread pancakes instead. Simply oil a pan on medium heat, place a scoop of batter into the pan, and let cook about 2-3 minutes on each side!
- Mix the almond milk with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes. (This will turn it into “buttermilk.”) After 5 minutes, add the coconut oil and vanilla extract and mix.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat your waffle press, spray with cooking spray if needed, and spoon in batter. Cook for 4-5 minutes . (*May vary depending on waffle press)
- To make the blueberry compote, heat blueberries, water, and maple syrup in a small pot on medium heat for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in chia seeds and allow to simmer for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and top on the waffles.