Restaurant style chana masala
This restaurants style chana masala is a classic Indian chickpea curry in a fragrant masala sauce. It’s perfect for a cozy weeknight meal!
Oh curries, how I love you so!
Seriously. I think my curry obsession gets more and more intense the colder it gets out. So yeah, I’m thinking there’s some sort of correlation here. Colder weather=more curry. So friends, brace yourselves…because winter is coming!
But today we’re going full on Indian with our curry! Because Indian curry recipes are DA BOMB.
Indian food is just jam packed with incredible flavours, and this restaurant style chana masala does not disappoint in the flavour department!
This chana masala recipe is healthy and can be made entirely in one pot (YAY.) Oh, and it can also be frozen so you can make a double batch and freeze half of it so you have dinner ready to go when your feeling lazy. You’re welcome.
A few notes on the recipe:
Ok, so let’s talk about how to make chana masala.
Basically there are a few key elements that make this dish:
- Veggies (aka onion, garlic & ginger combo)
The first thing you’ll want to do is fry up the spices in some oil. This will release all that incredible flavour for the curry! Next comes in the onion, garlic and ginger. Also packing some mega flavour.
The crushed tomatoes make up the sauciness of the recipe, but you can also use diced tomatoes for a chunkier chana masala, or even just tomato sauce if that’s what you have on hand.
I use canned chickpeas in this recipe, but you can use dried chickpeas and pre-cook them according to package directions.
Chana masala is traditionally served with some basmati rice. So make sure to cook some up to enjoy with the dish!
This restaurant style chana masala is:
- Naturally vegan & gluten-free
- Perfect for a cozy weeknight dinner
- Packed with tons of flavour and aroma!
Alright enjoy this curry, friends!Print
A healthy and easy vegetarian chickpea dish that is perfect for a weeknight dinner!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1-inch cube ginger, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 cans of chickpeas (approx 1000ml, or 3 cups)
- Fresh cilantro (to top)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat then add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and bay leaves. Let cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Next add the onion, ginger and garlic and mix together letting cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together, then lower the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve with a side of rice.
This chana masala freezes well!
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 14g
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 52g
- Fiber: 15g
- Protein: 16g
Keywords: how to make chana masala, vegetarian chickpea curry