Lettuce wraps. The cousin of a taco, or a rice paper roll, or a salad?
I’m not exactly sure which they’re related too, but I do know that they are DELISH. Lettuce wraps are one of those fun meals to make because you can build your wraps as you eat and add a variety of toppings to them.
For these sweet
Even though we’re already September (seriously though…when did that happen?!) the weather still seems to be hanging onto summer. (Happy to report it’s currently 30 degrees Celcius and sunny outside!) Which means I’m still hanging onto to fresh and light recipes before burying my face into a big bowl of veggie curry.
One thing I love about lettuce wraps is that they make for a fun and interactive meal! I love to make a lettuce wrap bar and have all the ingredients laid out on plates, so you can make them yourself as you go. They also make a great gluten-free and low carb meal option too!
A few notes on this recipe:
Make sure to use extra-firm tofu for this recipe! This is important to make sure the tofu comes out nice and crispy in the oven. You’ll also want to squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the tofu before cooking it. I like to press the block of tofu between a few sheets of paper towel, or a clean kitchen towel and place a heavy book on top for a few minutes. Less moisture in the tofu will lead to crispier tofu!
I find Boston lettuce (or butter lettuce) work best for this recipe. But you can also use iceberg or romaine lettuce instead. All these will work just fine!
The toppings on these lettuce wraps can be varied. I kept these ones simple to really let the sweet chili tofu shine, but you can opt to add a variety of toppings like radishes, pickled cabbage or any other type of veggies you like! You can also use rice instead of rice noodles or leave out the rice noodles all together to keep these carb-free.
These sweet chili vegan lettuce wraps are:
- High in protein
- Crispy and delicious!
Make all the lettuce wraps in advance to serve or set up a lettuce wrap bar at the table for people to serve themselves! Store any leftover ingredients separately.Print
the ultimate crispy and delicious vegan lettuce wraps with crispy tofu in a sweet and spicy chili sauce!
- 1 block tofu
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce (can sub hoisin sauce)
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 heads of Boston lettuce (can sub iceberg or romaine)
- 4 oz vermicelli noodles, cooked according to package directions (can sub rice instead)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped (optional)
- sesame seeds to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Drain the tofu and squeeze as much liquid out of it as possible between paper towels or a clean kitchen towel.
- Cut the tofu into cubes, toss in the soy sauce and cornstarch and then spread it out evenly on the baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, flipping the tofu cubes halfway through.
- To prepare the sauce, add all the sauce ingredients to a small pan on medium-high heat until it begins to bubble.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the baked tofu cubes. Toss until evenly coated, then remove from heat.
- To assemble the wraps, Use 1-2 leaves of lettuce and then layer noodles, tofu, and garnishes on top.
Add any type of toppings you like on the lettuce wraps. Cilantro, crispy onions or pickled cabbage would all be delicious additions!
Store any leftover ingredients separately.
Keywords: vegan lettuce wrap recipe, how to make lettuce wraps
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!