This Roasted Sweet Potato Cinnamon Soup is the ultimate cozy soup recipe for Fall! The combination of sweet potatoes and cinnamon in a soup is just to die for! This recipe is also vegan and gluten-free.
This is an old recipe on the blog from 2017 that has been updated to make it even better!
Easy and healthy sweet potato soup
This sweet potato soup is made with roasted sweet potatoes which give the soup more depth and flavour. The combination of the sweet potatoes and cinnamon blended together in a creamy soup is SO delicious. (Trust me!)
The soup then gets blended up (in a blender or with an emulsion blender, both work fine.) until it’s super smooth and creamy. You can optionally top this soup with some parsley, roasted chickpeas and a drizzle of olive oil.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This soup makes a healthy appetizer or dinner and is naturally vegan and gluten-free.
- This soup is like a hug in a bowl. The combination of sweet potatoes and cinnamon makes for the ultimate cozy bowl of soup on a cold day.
- Roasting the sweet potatoes before adding them to the soup gives this soup another level of flavour.
How to make Roasted Sweet Potato Cinnamon Soup
This soup recipe has less than 10 ingredients and is super simple to make!
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into cubes then place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast them in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Heat some oil in a pot then add the onions and garlic and let them cook down for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the sweet potatoes and spices and mix everything together before adding the broth.
- Bring the soup to a boil then cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend the soup until smooth and creamy and serve.
Health benefits of sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are loaded with fibre and nutrients and are the perfect healthy food to enjoy during the Fall and Winter months.
Sweet potatoes are also great for digestion and help promote gut health. They are also loaded with Beta-carotene which is good for your eyesight!
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Cut the sweet potatoes into even cubes. This will ensure that the sweet potatoes all cook evenly when you roast them in the oven.
- Preheat the pot. If your pot isn’t non-stick, preheating the pot can help prevent the onions and garlic from sticking.
- Blend to your liking. I enjoy this soup when it’s completely pureed and smooth and creamy. If you prefer a slightly chunkier soup, you can just blend it slightly.
- This soup freezes well.
More roasted sweet potato recipes to try
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Chipotle Quinoa
- Roasted Sweet Potato and Pineapple Curry
- Kale Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
If you tried this Roasted Sweet Potato Cinnamon Soup or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 L vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp-1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- a dash of cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roast the sweet potatoes for 25-35 minutes until tender.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium-high heat, then add the onions letting cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add your potatoes to the pot, and season with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper, mixing everything together
- Add your soup broth, and bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend the soup until smooth and creamy and serve
You can garnish this soup with roasted chickpeas, parsley, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Cut the potatoes into even cubes so they cook evenly.
This soup stores well in the freezer.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 2
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: healthy sweet potato soup recipe, vegan sweet potato soup