Kale salad with roasted sweet potato and cranberries
The other day at the grocery store I came across a big bag of fresh cranberries for $1.00! I’ve never actually used fresh cranberries in cooking before, only dried ones, frozen ones, or cranberries that are already in the form of sauce.
So of course I just had to put them in my cart and take on the challenge of finding some use for them in my kitchen.
I was already wanting to make a fall kale salad, and I had a bunch of sweet potatoes in my cupboard. Well, the stars seemed to align and this recipe happened. Kale salad with roasted sweet potato and cranberries.
Now, sometimes my first try at kitchen experiments don’t always go so well. (my blueberry oat bran muffins took 4 batches to get them perfect!)
But this recipe happened to be one of those that comes out perfect on the first shot. It’s one of those recipes that is just damn good, so you don’t need to mess with it any further.
The kale is massaged in a dijon-maple dressing so it becomes nice and tender, and the roasted sweet potatoes mixed with the fresh cranberries gives this salad a sweet and sour kick!
Top it off with pumpkin seeds for some extra crunch and you got yourself the perfect kale salad! (Especially for both fall & winter with these ingredients in season!)
This kale salad with roasted sweet potato and cranberries is perfect for any time of year!
- 1 sweet potato
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4–6 large kale leaves
- 1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a pan with parchment paper.
- Peel your sweet potato and chop into small cubes. Mix the sweet potato, olive oil, and salt, and spread out evenly on your pan. Place in the oven for 10 minutes. At the 10 minute mark, mix the cranberries in the pan with sweet potatoes and cook for another 10-15 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Cut the stems off the kale, and chop the kale leaves into small pieces. Place in a large bowl.
- Mix the salad dressing ingredients together, and pour over the kale, mixing together well. (I like to use my hands for this part and massage the kale)
- Next add your roasted sweet potatoes & cranberries, and pumpkin seeds and mix all together.
- Serve immediately, or store in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 1 side salad
- Calories: 164
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: Kale salad with roasted sweet potato and cranberries, salads with kale