Creamy Simple Vegan Potato Soup
Versatile, smooth, and creamy potato soup is a great soup recipe to enjoy all year round. What’s better, it’s easy to customize with your favourite veggies and herbs and is ready in just 30 minutes!
Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
Are you ready to dive into a warm and cozy bowl of creamy Vegan Potato Soup? If so, you are in the right place, my friend!
Potato soup is definitely a humble soup, but don’t think that doesn’t mean it’s packed with flavour! This soup is made with just 8 simple ingredients and can be customized with different vegetables and spices to make it your own. This soup is made with a combination of potatoes, carrots (just for a touch of flavour and colour) and dill for a cozy and warming soup with a luscious and creamy texture.
Each bowl of this soup has just 180 calories, 2.5 grams of protein and 5.2 grams of fibre for a delicious and nutritious soup!
I usually love making soup with sweet potato, but sometimes it’s nice to have a simple classic recipe in your back pocket that you can enjoy over and over again.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Ready in 30 minutes. Quick and easy is the name of the game here! This Vegan Potato Soup can be made in just 30 minutes.
- Creamy, without the cream. That’s right. You don’t need any cream to make a super creamy potato soup. This soup is smooth and creamy while still being light.
- An instant warm up. You cold? Bundle up inside with a bowl of this Vegan Potato Soup. I guarantee it will warm you up and give you all those *cozy vibes.*
- Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free. While this soup may not be carb-free, it’s a great option for anyone who is looking for a vegan and gluten-free soup.
What are the best potatoes for potato soup?
For a creamy potato soup, the best types of potatoes to use are Russet Potatoes or Yukon Gold Potatoes. These are starchier varieties of potatoes that blend up to be really creamy.
If you want to make a chunky potato soup or stew with pieces of potato that hold their shape, you’ll want to use waxy potatoes (such as red potatoes) which have a lower starch content and stand up better in these types of soup.
Veggie Potato Soup Recipe Ingredients
- Olive oil: you can also use vegan butter or avocado oil.
- Onion: just a regular white or yellow onion will work. If you prefer, you can substitute a leek for the onion.
- Garlic: fresh garlic only! No powdered.
- Carrots: One large carrot will work. You can leave out the carrot if you prefer not to add it.
- Potatoes: I use russet potatoes. Yukon Gold potatoes will also work well.
- Dill: I love the flavour combination of potatoes and dill. If you’re not a fan of dill you can use parsley.
- Vegetable broth: any of your favourite vegetable broth will work!
- Salt & pepper: to season.
How to make Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
Heat the olive oil in a pot on medium-high heat, then add the onion, garlic and carrot and sauteé together for 2-3 minutes.
Add the cubed potatoes and dill and stir everything together until evenly mixed.
Add the vegetable broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil, string occasionally.
Cover and reduce the heat to low. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Using a blender or an immulsion blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
Make Instant Pot Vegan Potato Soup
Set the instant pot on sauteé mode and add the olive oil, onions, garlic and carrots and sautee for 2-3 minutes. Add the rest of the soup ingredients to the instant pot, lock the lid and set the valve to seal and cook at high pressure for 7 minutes. Quick-release the pressure and remove the lid. Puree the soup with a blender.
Simple Vegan Potato Soup in a Slow Cooker
Sauteé the onion, garlic and carrots in a pot or pan on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker with the rest of the soup ingredients and cook on high for 4 hours. Remove and puree the soup.
How to serve Easy Vegan Potato Soup
First off, this soup can absolutely be enjoyed just as is with no additional toppings, so feel free to go ahead and just pour yourself a bowl of soup. Now if you’re someone who needs a little something *extra* to go with your soup, here are some great options:
- Crusty french bread
- Coconut bacon bits
- Fresh herbs (dill, parsley, basil)
- Sliced green onions
- Vegan yogurt
- Vegan cheese
How to Store, Reheat and Freeze Vegan Potato Soup
Fridge: store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Freezer: let the soup cool to room temperature then transfer to a freezer-safe airtight container. Freeze for up to 2 months. To defrost let thaw on the counter.
Reheat: reheat this Vegan Potato Soup in a pot on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use Russet or Yukon Gold Potatoes. These varieties of potatoes have a higher starch content which will blend up into a soup with a very creamy texture. You can still technically use any type of potatoes, the soup may just not be quite as creamy.
- Cut the potatoes into small pieces. This will allow the potatoes to cook faster and give you potato soup ready in just 30 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or actual blender to blend the soup. Both will work just fine.
- If you prefer a chunkier potato soup, only partially blend the soup.
Vegan Potato Soup FAQ
If you want to make a light and creamy blended potato soup, it’s best to peel the potatoes before adding them to the soup.
If you’re making a chunky potato soup/stew where the potatoes are being left in pieces, then it’s not always necessary to peel the potatoes. But a general rule of thumb is potato soup will have a better texture overall with peeled potatoes, regardless if the soup is being blended or not.
This soup recipe doesn’t have any added milk to it, though if you want to make the soup extra creamy you can try adding ½ cup of coconut milk to the soup. Keep in mind this will also change the flavour of the soup slightly.
An easy way to thicken potato soup without cream is to add an extra cooked potato to the soup and blend it together. If you don’t have any extra potatoes, you can also mix 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of cold water and add that to the soup.
For extra flavour, try adding some herbs like dill, oregano, basil or thyme. You can also add ingredients like chives or shallots for an extra flavour boost.
Try these delicious vegan soups next:
- Golden Chickpea Soup
- Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Vegetable Barley Soup
- Vegetarian Cabbage Soup
- Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
If you tried this Vegan Potato Soup or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Vegan Potato Soup that is uber creamy and ready in just 30 minutes!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 2–3 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped (2 large or 3 medium potatoes)
- 3–4 sprigs of dill
- 1-litre vegetable both
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a pot on medium-high heat, then add the onion, garlic and carrots and sateé for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and dill and mix together, then add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Blend the soup with a blender or immersion blender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Store in the fridge for 7 days or in the freezer for 2 months.
Use Russet or Yukon Gold Potatoes. These varieties of potatoes have a higher starch content which will blend up into a soup with a very creamy texture.
Cut the potatoes into small pieces. This will allow the potatoes to cook faster.
Use an immersion blender or actual blender to blend the soup. Both will work just fine.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 400mg
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 27.2g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Protein: 2.6g
Keywords: vegan soup with potatoes, healthy potato soup, vegetarian potato soup