Vegetarian Cabbage Soup
This Vegetarian Cabbage soup is easy to make, loaded with flavour and only has 100 calories per serving! This soup is great for an appetizer, side or a light lunch.
What are the benefits of eating cabbage soup?
This Vegetarian Cabbage soup has a similar base to a healthy minestrone soup that uses a mix of onions, garlic, carrots, celery and tomato paste. Of course, this recipe is different from a minestrone soup with the addition of cabbage of spices.
Some of you may be familiar with the cabbage soup diet, which is a short-term weight-loss that diet that involves eating A LOT of cabbage soup.
So what exactly are the health benefits of eating cabbage soup?
- Cabbage soup is very low in calories and packed with vitamins, so you can eat a large quantity of cabbage without consuming many calories. One bowl of this soup only has 100 calories!
- Cabbage soup is packed with fibre, so it can help with your digestion.
How do you thicken cabbage soup?
Generally, cabbage soup has more of a thin soup base, with thin slices of cabbage in it. But if you prefer a thicker cabbage soup, you can blend up half of the soup in a high-speed blender then add it back to the pot.
This will create a thicker texture for your soup. Though personally I like this soup with a regular consistency!
How to make this recipe
Start by sautéing the onions, garlic, celery and carrots in a pot, then add the thinly sliced cabbage and seasoning and mix everything together.
Next add in the crushed tomatoes and broth and bring the soup to a boil, then cover and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
As the soup cooks, the cabbage will soften and the flavours will intensify.
Alternate ways to cook this soup
In a Slow Cooker:
Add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
In an Instant Pot
Turn the Instant Pot on sauté mode and sauté the onions, garlic, carrots and celery for 3-4 minutes. Then add the rest of the ingredients, screw the lid and set the pressure to Sealing. Cook on high for 15 minutes then let the pressure release naturally for 16 minutes.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use a regular green cabbage for this recipe. Don’t substitute with red cabbage or a Napa cabbage.
- I recommend using a low sodium vegetable stock so you can have more control of the saltiness of the soup. You can always add and adjust the salt as needed.
- For the best flavour, use a high-quality brand of crushed tomatoes. This can make a big difference in the taste of the soup!
How to store and reheat leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container or large sealed jar in the fridge for up to one week.
This recipe freezes well, and can also be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Let the soup defrost naturally on the countertop, or in the microwave.
Reheat in a pot on the stove or in the microwave until warm.
More soup recipes to try
If you tried this Vegetarian Cabbage Soup or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!
Vegetarian Cabbage Soup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
This Vegetarian Cabbage Soup is easy to make, healthy and perfect for a healthy lunch, side or appetizer!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4–5 cups shredded cabbage (about 1/2 small cabbage)
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup spinach
- 1-litre vegetable stock
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a pot on medium-high heat then add the onion and sautee until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- next add the garlic, carrots and celery and continue to sautee for 2-3 minutes until the veggies are slightly tender, then add the cabbage and mix together. Season with herbs to Provence, salt and pepper.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and vegetable stock and bring to boil for 2 minutes, then cover and let simmer on low for 30 minutes. Then add the spinach and let wilt for 5 minutes before serving.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Use a regular green cabbage for this recipe. Don’t substitute with red cabbage or a Napa cabbage.
I recommend using a low sodium vegetable stock so you can have more control of the saltiness of the soup. You can always add and adjust the salt as needed.
For the best flavour, use a high-quality brand of crushed tomatoes. This can make a big difference in the taste of the soup!
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 5g
- Fat: 5.5g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 2.5g
Keywords: cabbage soup diet, vegetarian cabbage soup, vegan cabbage soup
This looks great to detox after Christmas treats! When do you add the spinach, towards the end or with the cabbage? Making it now. Smells delicious!
Hi Becky! The spinach can be added in 10 minutes before the soup is ready to serve!
Is there an alternative to using tomatoes? I am sensitive to them.
Hi Sara, you can just leave them out. This will alter the flavour of the soup, so you might want to add a bit more spices or salt to the broth!