Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
Flourless Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft and chewy on the inside, crispy around the edges and so delicious! These gluten-free and grain-free cookies only take only 20 minutes to make from start to finish!
Almond flour vs almond meal
If you’ve never baked with almond flour before, it’s a great gluten-free alternative to baking with wheat flour. Almond flour can be used to make anything from almond flour pancakes to almond flour blondies to an array of other baked goods!
When a recipe calls for almond flour, you want to make sure that you purchase almond flour and not almond meal. (they aren’t the same!)
Here are the main differences between the two:
- Almond flour: made with blanched almonds and is very finely ground into a powder that resembles flour.
- Almond meal: made from almonds with the skin still on, and ground into a less fine powder.
These Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies are the best when made with almond flour, which is typically used in baked goods and has a finer crumb than almond meal.
Why you’ll love these almond flour cookies
- Easy to make. These cookies are made in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer and are ready in just 20 minutes!
- Gluten-free and grain-free. If you want to make cookies that are gluten-free friendly, these almond flour cookies are a great option. almond flour also makes these cookies completely grain-free.
- Healthy ingredients. Made with ingredients like almond flour and coconut sugar, these cookies make a delicious dessert that is also healthier than your average cookie.
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookie ingredients
- Almond flour: this recipe is best when made with finely ground almond flour. The almond flour should resemble regular wheat flour in texture and have a fine crumb.
- Baking soda: this will help the cookies rise. Make sure to use baking soda and not baking powder!
- Salt: a pinch of salt is essential in chocolate chip cookies to help balance out the flavours.
- Butter: this recipe calls for butter which gives chocolate chip cookies the best taste. You can use vegan butter if needed for a dairy-free option.
- Coconut sugar: this is a paleo type of sugar that contains some minerals and antioxidants. You can also just substitute with brown sugar.
- Egg: this will bind the cookies together.
- Vanilla extract: use real vanilla extract for the best taste!
- Chocolate chips: I use 70% dark chocolate chips. Use any chocolate chips you love.
How to make almond flour cookies
Add the almond flour, baking soda and salt to a bowl and stir together. In a separate bowl add the room temperature butter and coconut sugar.
Cream the butter and coconut sugar together in a hand mixer for 2-3 minutes until creamy. Then add in the egg and vanilla extract.
Cream together again for another couple minutes until combined and the mixture looks as pictured below. Then add in the dry ingredients and mix together with a spatula to combine.
Add in the chocolate chips and gently mix them together.
Use a cookie scoop to scoop out even cookies and spread them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure to leave enough space between each cookie as they’ll spread out in the oven! Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Let cook completely.
How to store and freeze
Wait for the cookies to cool completely, then transfer them to an air-tight container and store them on the countertop for up to 7 days.
To freeze, place the cookies in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag and place them in the freezer for up to 2 months. To defrost the cookies let them thaw on the countertop.
Tips for making chocolate chip almond flour cookies
- Use fine-ground almond flour for best results. Some types of almond flour you may see at the supermarket might have a larger crumb. Try to pick a brand that looks very finely ground if possible.
- Don’t overmix the batter. Overmixing can lead to a tough and dense cookie. Once you add the almond flour, just gently mix until combined.
- If the dough is too sticky to handle, place it in the fridge for 15-30 minutes. This will help the dough set up and make it easier to scoop into cookies.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet. These cookies will spread out as they bake, so make sure not to place them too close together on the baking sheet.
Almond cookies FAQ
These almond flour cookies have an egg in them which will help bind them together and prevent them from falling apart. You also want to let the cookies cool completely before handling them to prevent them from breaking and falling apart.
Yes! If you can’t find almond flour, you can make these cookies with almond meal. Just keep in mind the cookies will have a grainier texture.
Yes. If you want to make this recipe dairy-free use vegan butter or room-temperature coconut oil in place of butter.
They taste very similar to regular chocolate chip cookies but have a slightly different texture due to the almond flour. (They are more grainy than a regular chocolate chip cookie but equally as delicious!)
Yes, these cookies are healthier than your average cookie as they are made with less sugar and butter than most cookies, however, they are still a dessert. Almond flour is also high in calories since it’s made from ground almonds. Each cookie has 150 calories, 2 grams of fibre and 3.5 grams of protein.
Try these cookie recipes next!
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Peanut Butter And Jelly Thumbprints
- Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Breakfast Cookies
If you tried these Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 16 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Simple and delicious gluten-free almond flour chocolate chip cookies ready in 20 minutes!
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour (fine ground is best.)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (can sub brown sugar)
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the almond flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and coconut sugar with a handheld mixer for 2-3 minutes. (You can also use a stand mixer.)
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and cream together for another 2 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Pour the almond flour mixture into the bowl of wet ingredients and gently mix together with a spatula until everything is combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out even cookies onto the baking sheet, leaving space between each cookie.
- Use your hands and gently press down on each cookie to slightly flatten.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Let cool before eating.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Fat: 11.5g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3.5g
Keywords: almond flour chocolate chip cookies gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, cookies with almond flour
Delicious and easy to make, my family loved them.
So happy to hear you and your family loved them! 🙂
Can you make those with a flax egg or chia egg instead of a real egg?
Hi Les! I haven’t tested them out with a flax egg so I can’t say how they’d turn out.