Crispy & chewy ginger molasses cookies
These crispy & chewy ginger molasses cookies are nice & crispy on the outside and soft & chewy on the inside! They’re also made healthier with whole-grain flour and wholesome ingredients!
This post is sponsored by Sunfood Superfoods.
Today I have the second of four gingerbread inspired recipes coming to you this season!
We kicked off gingerbread season with some vegan gingerbread donuts, and next, we’re moving onto a classic: crispy & chewy ginger molasses cookies!
I’m so excited to share this recipe with you after testing out 4 different batches to get that perfect crispy & crackly top, while still having a soft chewy center. And let me tell you, this recipe is THE ONE <3
How to make the perfect ginger molasses cookie
There are a few things that make a perfect ginger molasses cookie:
- Crackled top
- Chewy center
- Crispy sugary coating
These crispy & chewy ginger molasses cookies hit all 3 points!
The secret to getting that nice crackle on top is actually to use enough sugar in the recipe. I tested out these cookies with less sugar, but wasn’t able to achieve the same spread and crackled look on top. For this recipe, we’re using half organic cane sugar, and half Sunfood coconut sugar.
Sunfood coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index than regular sugar. So basically, you don’t feel as much of that sugar spike from eating these cookies as you would a typical cookie.
A few notes on this recipe:
These crispy & chewy ginger molasses cookies are made with whole grain Spelt flour to add some fibre and nutrients to them, though if you prefer using regular flour or gluten-free flour blend you can use that instead. I’ve tested these out with regular organic flour and they come out delicious!
I haven’t tested out the recipe using all coconut sugar, but I imagine that the cookies would turn out just fine! This may alter the taste a bit to have more of a brown sugar flavour.
This cookie dough stores really well in the freezer! You can double up the recipe and store extra cookie dough in your freezer to bake up a batch of cookies on the fly!
Enjoy loves and happy weekending! xoPrint
Get the best of both worlds with these ginger molasses cookies that are crispy on the outside, and soft and chewy on the inside!
- 1/4 cup organic butter, softened (or dairy-free butter if needed)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup whole-grain spelt flour (can sub regular flour or gluten-free flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- extra sugar for coating (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper
- Cream the butter, coconut sugar, and cane sugar together in a stand mixer until creamy.
- Then add the egg white and molasses and mix until well combined.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl then slowly pour the dry ingredients into the stand mixer while mixing on low speed.
- Mix until everything is well combined.
- Place the cookie dough mixture in the fridge for 30-60 minutes until the dough is easy to handle.
- Roll the dough into small 1-inch balls, then roll each ball to coat in sugar.
- Place on the cookie sheet and bake for 10-13 minutes, until the cookies begin to crack on top.
- Remove and let cool before eating.
Store any extras in an air-tight container.
If you like your cookies on the chewier side, cook them only about 10 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 11g
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: how to make ginger molasses cookies, healthy ginger molasses cookies