This colourful Moroccan quinoa salad is aromatic and bursting with flavour. It uses healthy ingredients and is naturally vegan and gluten-free!
Introducing my latest quinoa obsession: Moroccan quinoa salad! This healthy quinoa salad is packed with aromatic spices like cumin and cinnamon, and loaded with veggies and herbs for a dish that is equally as delicious as it is beautiful!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s easy to make but you’ll feel like you’re eating something from a high-end restaurant.
- It’s the perfect dish to bring for a potluck, bbq or to a dinner party.
- It’s suitable for most diet types and can be enjoyed by anyone who eats gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan and dairy-free.
The key to making the perfect quinoa
The quinoa is the star of the dish, so you want to make sure that it is prepared well.
Traditionally, most instructions for cooking quinoa will use one part quinoa to two parts water. For this recipe, we are using one part quinoa to one part water to one part vegetable broth. This will help season the quinoa and give it more flavour in the final dish.
How to make a quinoa salad taste amazing
Many people find quinoa to be bland, and if it isn’t seasoned well, it definitely can lack flavour.
The key to making a quinoa salad that tastes really good is to make sure you are adding plenty of different flavours and textures to the salad. (Which is exactly what we are doing in this recipe!)
Cooking the quinoa using vegetable broth and using dried herbs and spices will help give this quinoa salad a ton of flavour. Roasted vegetables also have more flavour than raw vegetables, so adding roasted veggies to your quinoa salad is another great way to give your salad a great taste!
My last (and favourite) way to make a quinoa salad taste extra good is by adding some toasted nuts or seeds. These give the salad a nice crunchy texture, and a delicious toasty nutty flavour.
How to make Moroccan quinoa salad
- Chop and season the vegetables then roast in the oven until tender.
- Prepare the quinoa by cooking it in a mixture of water, vegetable broth, and spices. Use a fork the fluff up the quinoa and allow it to cool slightly.
- Mix the quinoa, roasted vegetables and the rest of the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed, then top with some fresh parsley.
Recipe tips and variations
- Prepare the roasted veggies first since they will take the longest. While the veggies are roasting, cook the quinoa in a pot.
- This salad can be enjoyed both hot or cold.
- Add some chickpeas, lentils or other legumes to this salad if you’d like to make it more protein-rich.
- This recipe holds up well in the fridge and becomes even more flavourful over time, so it’s a great dish to prepare ahead of time.
Other quinoa recipes to try
If you tried this Moroccan Quinoa Salad or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
A delicious and aromatic quinoa salad that’ll be sure to impress!
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- salt & pepper to taste
- Roast the veggies: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper. Toss the veggies in olive oil, salt and pepper and then scatter on the baking pan. Bake for 20-24 minutes.
- Cook the quinoa: Add the water, vegetable broth, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric and salt to a pot and bring to a boil. Add in the quinoa then reduce heat to low and cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and use a fork to fluff the quinoa.
- Putting it together: In a large bowl, mix together the quinoa, roasted veggies, shredded carrots, slivered almonds, pomegranate seeds, chopped parsley and chopped coriander. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Let the quinoa cool slightly before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients so it doesn’t wilt the fresh herbs.
Add in chickpeas, lentils or any other vegetables or legumes you love to this recipe.
This salad can be enjoyed hot or cold and stores well in the fridge for up to a week.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 168
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 200mg
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: quinoa salad, moroccan salad
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!