This sprouted lentil chipotle chili is loaded with smokey chipotle flavour! It’s also vegan, gluten-free, and makes a perfect healthy dinner!
On cold wintery evenings, I’m always in the mood for warming stews, soups…and chilies! This sprouted lentil chipotle chili is one of my new favourite vegetarian chili recipes.
I’ve been on a “sprouted” kick, and have even ventured into the world of sprouting my own greens! (I use a sprouting tray) Sprouting legumes actually increases their nutrients, so you’ll get more health benefits from eating sprouted veggies! (Sprouted lentils have more iron and folate than their non-sprouted relatives.)
For this sprouted lentil chipotle chili, I cheat and buy already sprouted lentils, (Its easier and saves time!) but you can also sprout your own lentils, or even just use regular lentils instead.
You can also feel free to add in other legumes like chickpeas, corn, and various types of beans.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dried sprouted lentils
- 1 can black beans
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes (28oz )
- 3 tbsp chipotle in adobo
- 2 tspchilii powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Fresh cilantro & lime to top
- Cook the sprouted lentils according to package directions.
- Heat avocado oil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, cooking for about 3 minutes until translucent. Next add the red pepper and cook for another 3 minutes on medium heat. Next add the garlic, sprouted lentils, black beans, and cook on low for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, chipotle, chili powder, cumin powder, salt, pepper, and maple syrup top the pot. Raise heat to medium-high, stirring everything together until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and lime.