This coconut jasmine rice with sesame tofu is the perfect Asian-inspired buddha bowl! It’s loaded with edamame, pickled cabbage, and fresh vegetables, all on top of delicious coconut-infused rice!
I recently saw an episode of a show called ‘mind of a chef’ on Netflix that was all about rice. While I already knew we have many kinds of rice, (white rice, brown rice, sushi rice…etc.) I did not know the extent of complex and unique each type of rice is. It was honestly just fascinating!
After watching it I suddenly became more aware of my textures and flavours in different types of rice. Basmati rice, sushi rice, and jasmine rice are all white rice, but totally different! I think one of my favourites is jasmine rice.
This type of rice is native to Thailand and has a sweet and almost popcorn-like smell when you cook it. I find it goes particularity well with coconut milk! The coconut jasmine rice in this dish is slightly sweet & salty, and oh so creamy!
This recipe for coconut Jasmin rice with sesame tofu is one my favourite go-to Asian dishes. It’s such a comforting and wholesome dish while using fresh and natural ingredients.
The beauty of this bowl is you can top it off with any veggies of your choice! I personally love this with pickled vegetables, avocado, and edamame beans.
Enjoy this colorful, simple coconut jasmine rice with sesame tofu for lunch or dinner!
coconut jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 block organic tofu
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (for cooking)
- sesame seeds
pickled cabbage & radishes
- 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- sliced avocado,
- sliced cucumber
- shredded carrots
- edamame beans
- Add your coconut milk, water, and salt to a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Add in your Jasmine rice, cover, and let simmer on low for 18 minutes. (Don’t peek!) Once your rice is done, remove from the element, remove top, and let cool.
- While your rice is cooking, prepare your tofu.
- Slice the tofu as you please, and place in a bowl with sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and maple syrup. Let sit and marinade for 15-30 minutes.
- While your tofu is marinading, prepare your picked veggies.
- Add your cabbage and radishes in bowl or Tupperware with vinegar, water, salt and sugar. (I prepare mine in 2 separate containers.)
- Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Now let’s cook the tofu.
- In a medium saucepan, heat vegetable oil on medium-high heat.
- Remove tofu from marinade, and add to pan. Bring heat down to medium and cook on each side until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes a side.
- Once tofu is cooked toss with sesame seeds.
- Serve your bowls with rice, tofu, pickled veggies, and other optional toppings. Top with favourite soy sauce. (I recommend Maggie’s to go with the coconut rice!)
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 545
- Sugar: 9g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 73g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 12g
Keywords: Coconut jasmine rice with sesame tofu, vegan asian recipe