This sun-dried tomato spaghetti squash with caramelized onions is the perfect balance of flavor! Serve it up as a main or as a side dish!
It was an overall warm September here in Montreal, but fall has officially arrived and the cool air is blowing in.
With that, the market stalls have made a shift from corn & berries, to apples & squash. With that, the fall squash obsession begins with one of my favourite of the squash family, spaghetti squash!
I remember the first time I discovered that you could turn squash into noodles, I was in healthy-foodie heaven. Finally!
I could binge-eat “pasta,” all while feeling light, healthy, and be getting in my daily servings of veggies! What more could a girl ask for? While I do love my regular pasta and noodles, some days are better suited for something lighter. Which is where this squash recipe comes into play!
This sun-dried tomato spaghetti squash with caramelized onions has become a fan-favourite in my household.
It can be eaten as a side, or as a main dish. It also stays great in a fridge for a few days and makes the perfect to-go lunch.Print
This sun-dried tomato spaghetti squash with caramelized onions is the perfect week night dinner to impress your dinner mates!
sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatos
- 1 cup basil
- 2 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- Sun-dried tomato pesto:
- Place your sun-dried tomatoes, basil, garlic, toasted pine nuts, and olive oil in a food processor. Pulse until a paste form. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut your squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds, and brush the flesh with olive oil
- Place your squash face down on your baking sheet, and place in the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until tender.
- Once cooled, take a fork and begin to scrape out your squash. It should scrape rather easy, and resemble spaghetti. (If your squash is too hard to scape, it needs to be cooked longer)
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan. Chop your onion and add it to the pan on medium-low heat. Cook for 10-15 minutes, mixing constantly.
- Next add your sun-dried tomato pesto to the pan on medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes. Add your squash and mix well, until it is well coated in the pesto.
- Add the pine nuts, goat cheese, and parsley.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 563
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 55g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 9g
Keywords: Sun-dried tomato spaghetti squash with caramelized onions, spaghetti squash recipe, healthy spaghetti
I love seeing you make recipes from the blog! Use #choosingchia on Instagram so I can see your creations!
Tips & suggestions:
- For a vegan option, omit the cheese or use vegan cheese
- Cook and prep the spaghetti squash in advance and store in the fridge for an even quicker dinner
- If you love this recipe you’ll also love vegetarian lasagna stuffed spaghetti squash!