This Sun-Dried Tomato Spaghetti Squash with Caramelized Onions is a perfect light and fresh recipe that is naturally gluten-free and grain-free! The homemade tomato pesto and goat cheese pack this dish with a ton of flavour!
This is an old recipe on the blog that has been updated to make it even better!
This Sun-Dried Tomato Spaghetti Squash Recipe is like a lighter low-carb version of a spaghetti and tomato sauce that is also naturally gluten-free. It’s tossed in a homemade sun-dried tomato pesto and mixed together with caramelized onions and goat cheese for a squash dish that packs a ton of flavour!
How does spaghetti squash taste?
Spaghetti squash has a very mild flavour when eaten on it’s own. It definitely has a “squash-like” taste, similar to other squashes like a butternut squash or acorn squash.
The texture of spaghetti squash is stringy like spaghetti, but with a bit of a bite to this than real spaghetti would have. Because it’s so mild in taste, it will ultimately taste like whatever type of sauce or seasoning you put on it! I like making it with Lentil Bolognese and Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara.
How to make sun-dried tomato pesto spaghetti squash
A few simple steps and you’re on your way to enjoying the most delicious spaghetti squash! Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Cut the squash in half and roast it in the oven for 30-45 minutes
- Make the sun-dried tomato pesto by pureeing the pesto ingredients together in a food processor
- Caramelize your onions in a pan
- Remove the squash from the oven, peel out the squash using a fork to make your “spaghetti” and then toss it together with the rest of the ingredients.
- Top with some crumbled goat cheese and fresh parsley.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Check on your squash as you roast it to make sure you don’t over-bake it. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of your squash. When you poke the squash with a fork it should feel tender, but shouldn’t be mushy.
- Prepare the pesto and caramelized onions while your squash bakes. This will save you time in the kitchen!
- Be patient with your caramelized onions. Let them cook at a low temperature and don’t rush them. Giving them time to cook is what will allow them to caramelize.
- Don’t have time to roast the squash? Microwave it! Place the squash cut-sides-down in a microwave-safe baking dish. Fill the dish with about 1 inch of water and microwave for 10-12 minutes, or until you can easily pierce the squash with a fork.
More squash recipes to try
- Vegetarian lasagna stuffed spaghetti squash
- Vegan butternut squash mac and cheese
- Spicy Thai butternut squash soup
If you tried this Sun-Dried Tomato Spaghetti Squash or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This full-flavoured recipe is perfect for a lighter dinner with fresh ingredients!
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes. (in oil works best)
- 1 cup basil
- 2 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut your squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds, and brush the flesh with olive oil.
- Place your squash face down on your baking sheet, and place in the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until tender.
- Once cooled, take a fork and begin to scrape out your squash. It should scrape rather easy, and resemble spaghetti. (If your squash is too hard to scape, it needs to be cooked longer)
- While the squash cooks, prepare the rest of the ingredients
Sun-dried tomato pesto
- Place your sun-dried tomatoes, basil, garlic, toasted pine nuts, and olive oil in a food processor. Pulse until a paste form. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan. Chop your onion and add it to the pan with the salt on medium-low heat. Cook for 15-20 minutes, mixing every few minutes.
- Add half of your sun-dried tomato pesto to the pan on medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes. Add your squash and mix until everything is well combined. Add more pesto if needed, or reserve the rest for another time.
- Top with fresh chopped parsley and crumbled goat cheese.
No time to bake the squash? Microwave it! Place the squash face down in a baking dish with 1 tbsp of water and microwave for 10-12 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
Sun-dried tomatoes in oil will give you a creamier pesto, but any sundried tomato will work.
Store any leftover Sun-dried tomato pesto in a jar in the fridge to use for another time.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 380
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: spaghetti squash main, spaghetti squash recipe
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!