On cool and rainy days theres nothing quite like a big bowl of gooey cheesy pasta or lasagna. Especially with the days getting shorter and shorter it seems that all my body wants is comfort food.
This vegetarian lasagna stuffed spaghetti squash is a saviour for comfort food that still manages to stay on the healthier side, that’s loaded with tons of nutritional benefits! The spaghetti squash acts as the noodle layers, but is far healthier than using actual lasagna sheets. Plus you get the added bonus that the squash also happens to count as a big serving of veggies! The ricotta in this recipe is packed with spinach, so you also get some dark leafy greens to help you load up on vitamins in this comfort dish.If you ask me, it’s WAY more fun eating a lasagna out of a squash boat than just having a slice of regular lasagna on a plate. Give it a try for yourself!Print
Vegetarian lasagna stuffed spaghetti squash
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups spinach, chopped (and packed down)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 pack ricotta (about 450 grams)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup simple tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut your spaghetti squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and place face down on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the squash is tender.
- Scrape the squash with a fork, removing the majority of the squash and placing it in a large bowl. Leave a little bit around the edges so the squash “bowl” holds it’s form.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add your garlic and spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes, until spinach is wilted and vibrant green. Remove from heat.
- Mix your ricotta, lemon zest, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and spinach in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Now it’s time to layer the lasagna
- Start with a layer of tomato sauce, spreading evenly on the bottom of your squash bowls with a large spoon. Next add a layer of the spaghetti squash, and then a layer of your ricotta mixture, spreading evenly with a spoon. Repeat this process until your squash is full and layered like a lasagna.
- Top with shredded cheese and broil for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 189
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 12g
Keywords: Vegetarian lasagna stuffed spaghetti squash, healthy lasagna recipe