Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup
This Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup will instantly put you in a feel-good mood! The soup is made with 9 simple ingredients and is ultra creamy. Make it for a healthy lunch, appetizer, or to go with dinner.
Vegan Broccoli Soup
Can we take a moment to appreciate broccoli? Besides being packed full of nutrients, it’s an amazingly versatile vegetable that is deliciously steamed, roasted, added to stir-fries or made into soups. Did you know that just one cup of broccoli will give you almost all your daily needed intake of Vitamins C, K and A?
Blending broccoli into a luscious and creamy soup is my favourite way to eat broccoli. In fact, even if you’re not the biggest fan of broccoli in its whole form, I guarantee you’ll love this Vegan Cream Of Broccoli Soup!
This soup is made creamy by adding full-fat coconut milk to the broth. The coconut milk acts as a vegan cream in this recipe, creating a really smooth and luscious creamy soup.
If you’re not the biggest fan of coconut don’t worry, the soup has only a very slight hint of coconut flavour.
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Broccoli Soup Recipe
- Ready in 30 minutes. You’re just 30 minutes away from a delicious simple broccoli soup! This recipe is so simple to make and comes together really quickly. It’s truly a fuss-free recipe.
- Ultra creamy, with no real cream. I promise you won’t miss the dairy in this broccoli soup recipe. The coconut cream will give the same creamy effect as real cream.
- Make ahead and freezer friendly. Go ahead and meal prep this broccoli soup at the start of the week! You can also double up the recipe and freeze a batch to have on hand for another time.
Vegan Broccoli Soup Ingredients
- Onion: adding onion to a broccoli soup is so important to create flavour. You can use any regular white or yellow onion.
- Garlic: same goes for garlic. Make sure to use fresh garlic, not powdered.
- Broccoli: The star of the dish! Broccoli with a deep green colour tends to be the freshest and flavourful broccoli.
- Potato: any type of white or yellow potato will work. This helps to add some thickness and body to the soup and also gives it a creamier texture.
- Nutritional yeast: this secret ingredient will add a savoury umami flavour to the soup that people describe to have a cheesy flavour. If you don’t have nutritional yeast on hand you can leave this out.
- Coconut milk: full-fat coconu milk from a can works best for a really creamy soup.
- Vegetable broth: your favourite vegetable broth or stock
- Salt & pepper: to taste.
Can I make this broccoli soup without coconut milk?
If you want to make this soup without coconut milk I’d recommend making it using raw cashews to make homemade cashew cream. You can do this by blending 1/4 cup of raw cashews with 3/4 cups of water until smooth and creamy. This cashew cream will give the soup a creamy texture and won’t add any particular flavour. (Cashew cream is very mild tasting, so you won’t really taste it in the soup!)
How To Make Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
Start by adding the onions and garlic to a large pot with some olive oil and sateé for a couple minutes until the onion is translucent.
Next add in the broccoli florets, potato, nutritional yeast, coconut milk and vegetable broth and stir together. Bring the soup to a boil then reduce the heat to low and cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy. If you prefer your Vegan Broccoli Soup with a little more texture, you can just slightly blend it. Taste and season with salt and black pepper.
How Do You Thicken Cream of Broccoli Soup?
So you’ve gone ahead and made your broccoli soup, but after blending it you notice your soup isn’t thick enough. Maybe you didn’t add enough broccoli or added too much broth. Whatever the case it can happen!
The good news is, thickening a soup that is too thin is an easy fix!
Add potato: adding a cooked potato to a soup is a great way to thicken it up. Just cut up the cooked potato, add it to the broccoli soup and blend the potato into the soup.
Chickpeas: this is one of my favourite “tricks” for thickening a soup that also adds a great nutrition boost (including extra protein!) Blend in one cup of canned chickpeas to the soup to thicken.
Cornstarch: this is a classic thickener used often in stir-fries to thicken sauces. Just mix one tablespoon of cornstarch with one tablespoon of cold water and add it to the soup. Bring the soup to a light boil and mix.
How to store and freeze leftovers
Fridge: transfer any leftover broccoli soup to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat the soup heat it up in a pot on the stovetop or in a bowl in the microwave.
Freezer: let the soup cool completely then transfer to a freezer-safe container. Place in the freezer for up to 3 months. To defrost let the soup thaw on the countertop to defrost in the microwave.
Tips for Perfect Vegan Broccoli Soup
- Good broccoli soup starts with good broccoli. Pick a head of broccoli that is a deep green colour and is firm to the touch.
- I recommend using low-sodium vegetable broth. This will give you more control over how salty the soup is. You can always add more salt if needed.
- Blend the soup to your desired texture. You may like your soup fully blended and creamy, or just slightly blended.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! This Vegan Broccoli Soup Recipe is very healthy and is packed with vitamins, protein and fibre. Enjoyed in moderation this soup can be part of a healthy diet.
Yes. Frozen broccoli will work in this recipe and can be added directly from the freezer to the pot. Just keep in mind that frozen broccoli may have a slightly different taste than fresh broccoli.
This Vegan Broccoli Soup is delicious served on its own or with toppings. Try serving it with some vegan yogurt, vegan cheese, chives or fresh herbs. It’s also great served with a side of crusty bread.
More delicious soup recipes to try
- Vegan Potato Soup
- Golden Chickpea Soup
- Vegan Cream Of Asparagus Soup
- Vegetarian Cabbage Soup
- Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
If you tried this Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup is ready in just 30 minutes and packs some serious flavour. This is soup is perfectly creamy and will have you reaching for seconds!
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium heat then add the onions and garlic and sateé for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and potato and mix everything together.
- Add the nutritional yeast, coconut milk, vegetable broth, salt and pepper and bring the soup to a boil, string everything together
- Reduce the heat to low and cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend the soup using a blender or immersion blender until smooth and creamy.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
Good broccoli soup starts with good broccoli. Pick a head of broccoli that is a deep green colour and is firm to the touch.
I recommend using low-sodium vegetable broth. This will give you more control over how salty the soup is. You can always add more salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 265
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 500mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: vegan broccoli soup, dairy-free broccoli soup, broccoli soup coconut milk