This Vegan Pad See Ew is made with thick rice noodles, crispy tofu, and a rich soy sauce flavour! It’s vegan, gluten-free, loaded with fresh green vegetables, and ready in less than 15 minutes!
Pad See Ew is Pad See Yum
Ok, pardon the pun. But I feel like when people see “pad see ew”, all they see is the “ew”!
If you’re wondering, what is Vegan Pad See Ew? Well, Pad See Ew is a traditional Thai noodle dish, similar to a Pad Thai. It’s like Pad Thai’s cousin, but made with thicker rice noodles and a rich soy flavour. The sauce uses a few quintessential Thai ingredients, and it coats the noodles and tofu in its warm flavour.
It’s a cozy and comforting dish, perfect for a quick and easy dinner. It comes together in less than 15 minutes, and is filled with bold Thai flavours! If you’re curious about other classic Thai dishes, check out these Thai Drunken Noodles and this Thai Green Curry Tofu! They’re both classic Thai dishes with incredible flavour.
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe
This Vegan Pad See Ew is filled with healthy Chinese broccoli, bean sprouts, and tofu so it’s a complete meal made in one pan.
Also, this dish is traditionally made with Oyster sauce, but this version uses hoisin sauce to keep it 100% vegan. You can alternatively find vegetarian “oyster” sauce to use for this dish as well!
- Firm tofu: To add protein, texture, and a sauce absorber to this Pad See Ew. Also, by pan-frying your tofu, you get a crispy addition to the noodles.
- Crunchy vegetables: Vegetables like Chinese broccoli, bean sprouts, and scallions add more texture and depth to the dish.
- Soy sauce: This recipe calls for both light and dark soy sauce – if you can’t find one, just substitute with the other! They offer similar flavours, but dark soy sauce is a little more rich than light.
- Hoisin sauce: To add some sweetness, and to boost the flavour of the sauce.
- Crushed peanuts: Because no Vegan Pad See Ew is complete without crushed peanuts on top! You can also cook these into the dish, rather than sprinkling them on top.
- Lime juice: Lime juice adds some tartness to the dish, and balances out the sweet and salty flavours from the soy and hoisin sauces.
More Thai recipes to try
If you tried these Vegan Pad See Ew or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Vegan Pad See Ew is so delicious and only takes 15 minutes to make!
- Place rice noodles in a large shallow bowl. Boil water and pour over the rice noodles, letting sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Cut tofu into small cubes and add to the pan, cooking for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Push tofu over to the side of the pan, and add the remaining tbsp of coconut oil and reduce to medium heat. Add the Chinese broccoli to the pan, cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add the rice noodles, stirring everything together.
- Add the light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and Sriracha and mix until combined. Add water, 1 tbsp at a time if the noodles begin to stick, and are still a bit tough.
- Taste the noodles as you go until they are your desired texture. Lastly add the bean sprouts, stirring everything together.
- Give the noodles a taste and add in any more soy sauce or hoisin sauce if desired.
- Serve with chopped green onions, crushed peanuts, and a lime wedge.
Enjoy this vegan version of the classic Thai dish, Pad See Ew!
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 18g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: pad see ew, vegan pad see ew
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!