I’m back with another Thai recipe for you!
If there’s one type of cuisine I could eat on a daily it would be Thai food. Every Thai dish is just bursting with vibrant flavours, and this easy tom yum soup is no exception!
I’ve enjoyed tom yum soup in the heat of Thailand, but I love eating this soup on a cold winter day at home. This easy tom yum soup is also the perfect remedy for a winter cold, it’ll clear your sinuses right up!
Now, there are 3 very important ingredients that make a tom yum soup special. They are: lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, and galangal ginger.
You can find these ingredients at your local Asian market. (You may be able to find lemongrass at your regular supermarket or even sold in a paste form.) Traditionally, tom yum soup is served with button mushrooms and fresh tomatoes on top.
I prefer mine with some rice noodles to make it more substantial, but you can top your soup with whatever you like!
Tom yum soup
- 1 litre vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 1-inch cube galangal ginger
- 1 tbsp thai red curry paste or tom yum paste (optional)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 1–2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- bean sprouts
- cooked rice noodles
- green beans
- thinly sliced green onion
- In a large pot, add your spoon of Thai red curry paste on medium heat and allow to toast for 1 minute.
- Pour your vegetable broth and water in the pot and bring to a boil.
- Remove the outer layer of your lemon grass, and slice into thirds. Hammer your lemongrass with a kitchen mallet to let the aromas out, then add to pot.
- Next add your cube of galangal ginger and the kaffir lime leaves to the pot.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Next add the soy sauce, lime juice, sugar, and coconut milk
- If your soup needs a bit more salty,sweet, or sour, add more soy sauce,sugar or lime to taste.
- Serve in a large bowl with rice noodles, bean sprouts, and fresh cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 242
- Sugar: 51g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 107g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 27g
Keywords: Tom yum soup, healthy thai recipe, how to make tom yum soup