When I think about summer theres one thing in particular that comes to mind: blueberries! I remember spending my summers as a kid up north at my cottage and picking blueberries in the nearby fields. I still enjoy finding the time in the summers to go and pick wild blueberries, but sometimes just settle for buying them at the market or grocery store.
Most mornings, I start my breakfast off with a blueberry yogurt parfait. (Really just yogurt, blueberries, and granola layered in a cup.) This recipe is pretty similar to my traditional breakfast, with a twist. Instead of granola topping, the granola is made into a delicious tart, and then topped with yogurt and fresh blueberries. These blueberry granola tarts make the perfect breakfast of fresh fruit, whole grains, and protein. This recipe really highlights the fresh blueberries. They are not cooked or prepared in any way, which if you ask me, is the perfect way to enjoy summer blueberries!
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup your favourite plain yogurt (I recommend greek yogurt, or coconut yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a food processor, add your oats and almonds, and pulse until crumbly.
- Next add your coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt and pulse again for about 1minute, until it forms a crumbly dough.
- The dough should feel moist in your fingers, but not too wet.
- Press your dough into mini tart pans (or a large tart pan) with your hands firmly, until it covers the bottom of the pans, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place your tart crusts in the oven for 16-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove and let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix your yogurt, vanilla, and maple syrup together.
- Using a spatula or spoon, spread the yogurt evenly on top of the tarts.
- Top with your fresh blueberries and serve immediately.
Since blueberries are such a great summer fruit to cook with I’ve decided to to do a little roundup for your guys of 6 AMAZING vegan summer blueberry recipes to include along side my blueberry granola tarts (7 blueberry recipes total! Yipee!) These recipes are from some of my favourite vegan bloggers and will have you dreaming of blueberries all summer long!