One of my favourite ingredients to use during the fall is sweet potatoes. They’re bold sweet flavour and texture makes them the perfect ingredient to use in a variety of fall dishes. You can cook them up as a side, use them in dessert, soup, curry…there are just so many possibilities!
One of the most recent ways I’ve discovered to use sweet potatoes is spiralizing them. Spiralized sweet potatoes make a great alternative to regular spaghetti. They are filled with nutrients, vitamins, and are a healthy carb. There’s also just something really satisfying about eating a big bowl of creamy sweet potato noodles on a cool fall day.
This recipe for creamy sweet potato noodles with garlic tempeh and crispy kale is the perfect healthy comfort food! It’s completely vegan, gluten-free, and loaded with healthy veggies. Tempeh is a fermented food, that is loaded with probiotics to help keep your gut healthy and boost your immune system.
Creamy sweet potato noodles with garlic tempeh and crispy kale
- 1 block of tempeh
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (regular or gluten free)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 leaves of kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/4 tsp salt
sweet potato noodles
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (for pan frying)
- 1/4 cup water
- Mix your minced garlic, maple syrup, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a bowl. Add your block of tempeh and allow to marinade for 2-4 hours, flipping half-way through so each side can soak up the marinade.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Rinse the kale and pat completely dry.
- Drizzle with olive oil and massage with your hands until evenly coated. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place your kale in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until crispy. Depending on your oven, you may want to keep an eye as it can crisp up pretty quickly!
- Next using a spiralizer, spiralize your sweet potato noodles, set aside.
- To prepare the creamy sauce, mix the coconut milk, maple syrup, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha in a small saucepan on medium-high heat. Allow to boil down for 2-3 minutes so the sauce thickens.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil.
- Cut your tempeh into triangles or cubes and add to the pan, cooking for 2-3 minutes on each side on medium heat. Remove from pan.
- Add another tbsp of vegetable oil to the pan and add your sweet potato noodles, tossing regularly for 2-3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water to deglaze the pan and cook noodles for another 2-3 minutes, until tender.
- Pour in your creamy sauce, stir, and remove from heat.
- Assemble your bowl with sweet potato noodles, garlic tempeh, and crispy kale on top.
- garnish with fresh herbs, lime, and sesame seeds if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 779
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 80g
- Fiber: 25g
- Protein: 39g
Keywords: Creamy sweet potato noodles, garlic tempeh and crispy kale, how to make sweet potato noodles
*Don’t have tempeh? Simply use tofu instead!
Since sweet potatoes are one of my favourite fall ingredients, I’ve done a little round up of 5 more amazing vegan fall inspired sweet potato recipes to satisfy your sweet (potato) tooth!