Enjoy all the flavours of Fall in this Fall harvest Buddha bowl loaded with roasted squash, roasted chickpeas, and brussels sprouts!
I’ve been enjoying all the Fall foliage this week. The leaves are various colours of reds, yellows, and oranges. It’s just so pretty!
It’s also been getting colder outreach day, which means I’ve busted out my big cozy sweaters. Yup. I’m going to be prepared this year for Winter. (Even though I’ll be escaping the cold weather for 3 weeks…but we’ll talk about that more later!)
All summer I’ve been on this smoothie & salad kick. No joke I think I had a smoothie for breakfast and salad for lunch almost every single day.
But now that Fall is here, I’m in search of some more warming types of foods. I like to keep in mind my dosha type for eating what’s best for my body. Basically, for me this means eating some more warming foods.
This Fall harvest buddha bowl is a warming salad recipe that makes a great lunch or dinner. It’s loaded with protein from quinoa and chickpeas, and loaded with all the best Fall harvest veggies!
This Buddha bowl of course started with a trip to the farmer’s market. My finds included brussels sprouts, delicata squash, watermelon radishes, beets, sweet potatoes, and kale. All great Fall veggies to include for a nutritious bowl!
You can use any of your favourite veggies to make this Fall harvest buddha bowl. Add in any type of squash you love, some roasted root vegetables, or whatever else you enjoy. You can also add in any protein source you like, such as tofu or lentils or beans.
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, cut in halves
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and patted dry
- 1 delicata squash, cut into rings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon
- 1 beet, shredded
- 2 radishes, sliced (I use watermelon radishes)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 avocado
- 1 handful pomegranate seeds
- sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp dijon
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Toss the sweet potato, brussels sprouts, chickpeas, and delicata squash in the 2 tbsp of olive oil (divide oil evenly amongst veggies) and season with salt.
- Place the veggies in their own sections on your baking tray (you may need 2 trays)
- Place in the oven.
- The roasted vegetables will need different cooking times:
- Sweet potatoes: 20-25 minutes
- Brussels sprouts: 25-30 minutes
- Delicata squash: 25-30 minutes
- Chickpeas: 30-35 minutes
- Remove veggies from the oven and set aside.
- Place the chopped kale in a bowl and squeeze 1 tbsp of lemon juice on it. Massage gently with your hands to soften.
- To assemble the bowls, place some quinoa on the bottom of the bowl, and top with all the roasted vegetables, radish, shredded beets, kale, avocado, pomegranate seeds, and sesame seeds.
- Top with maple dijon dressing, or any other dressing you wish. (or just eat it plain, it's delicious!)
I love seeing you make recipes from the blog! Use #choosingchia on Instagram so I can see your creations!
Tips & suggestions:
- Want to make this bowl into a mixed “salad?” Chop up everything small and toss it together!
- Roast the vegetables on your prep day and store in the fridge to make a quick and easy bowl when needed
- Need more? Try my Turkish lentil kofte bowls!