This healthy salted caramel apple galette is vegan, low-sugar, and so easy to make! You’ll love this healthy alternative to the traditional dessert!
Today is Canadian thanksgiving at home, and that means lots of food and of course an abundance of apple desserts. I love making apple desserts in the Fall, since apples are available in abundance this time a year.
Whether your celebrating any holidays, or just want to enjoy a treat on the weekend, (or even on the weeknight) apple desserts are always a great seasonal option!
This year I decided rather than trying to make a pie, a crisp, or a crumble, i’d make a slightly different dessert than I’m used to making, a galette!
This is my first galette recipe I’ve made and it’s completely converted me into a galette lover! I’m thinking of making a savoury galette next, what do you think? Maybe a galette filled with roasted vegetables, or some squash, or even something comforting like chilli? Ok I’m getting a bit off topic here, we’ll save the savoury galette for another time!
My favourite thing about this salted caramel apple galette is that it is refined-sugar free, and very low in sugar overall. You can even omit the coconut sugar if you like and just stick with the natural sugars in the dates and apples.
I also used a mix of almond flour and spelt flour in this recipe. I found that the texture of mixing the two flours is lighter than just using almond flour. You can also alternatively just use all regular flour too if that’s something you prefer. I personally love the extra flavour and texture using part almond flour adds. It’s so delicious!
Salted caramel apple galette
- 3/4 cup white spelt flour (can sub regular flour, gluten-free flour blend)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp vegan butter (can sub regular butter, or solid coconut oil)
- 4 tbsp ice old water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup medjool dates
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large apples
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Add the spelt flour, almond flour, salt, and vegan butter to a food processor and pulse until it looks like crumbs.
- With the food processor running, slowly add in the water and lemon juice. Pulse just until it forms a dough.
- Cover in plastic wrap and place the dough in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove pits from dates, and soak your medjool dates in hot water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and add to a high-speed blender or food processor with 1 tbsp of water and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Core your apple, cut into thin slices and place in a large bowl. Add the coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch and mix together until combined.
- Remove your dough from the fridge.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough in a large circle (approx 12 inches) . Place on a large baking sheet.
- Spread the date caramel in approx. a 10 inch circle in the middle of the crust. (Make sure to leave about 2-3 inches around the edges untouched. This is the part of the crust you will fold over!)
- Next add the apples in a circle over the date caramel.
- Using your hands, gently fold over the edges of the crust.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serving Size: 1 slice galette
- Calories: 186
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: Salted caramel apple galette, vegan apple dessert, how to make apple galette
Tips & suggestions:
- Try adding your favourite fruits like pears or berries in the galette
- Brush a bit of extra butter or oil on top the fruit to keep it moist if your oven tends to cook really hot
- Need more apple recipes? Try my vegan apple crumb muffins!
This post contains affiliate links. I only recommend products I know, trust and love!