These triple coconut oatmeal cookies are made with shredded coconut, coconut oil, and coconut sugar for triple the coconuty goodness! Enjoy them for a snack, or even for breakfast. (Yes, they’re healthy!)
I don’t know about you, but I’m a huge coconut fan. My coconut obsession only began a few years ago. In fact, when I was younger I didn’t like coconut at all! (I know, what was I thinking?) It was one of those things that for some reason I thought I didn’t like, so I’d refused delicious coconut cake, pina coladas, and anything else that I knew featured coconut as a star ingredient.
I can’t quite pinpoint the day I tried giving coconut another shot, but I do remember developing a love for it. Now I think the more coconut, the better! (I even sprinkle coconut flakes on my smoothie bowls for Instagram all the time!)
This recipe for triple coconut oatmeal cookies are a new favourite of mine! They’re like a cross between a macaroon and an oatmeal cookie. Perfectly chewy, soft and delicious!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup apple sauce or 1/2 smashed banana
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 organic egg (for vegan sub flax egg)*
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup large flaked oats
- 1/2cup+2tbsp white spelt flour (can sub whole grain flour, kamut flour or regular flour)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking solda
- 1/4 tsp xantham gum (optional, but recommended if using a low-gluten flour)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixer, add the coconut oil and apple sauce. Mix on low speed until combined.
- Next add the coconut sugar and mix until combined, followed by the egg and vanilla mixing on medium speed for 1 minute.
- In a bowl mix together the oats, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and xantham gum.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the mixture, adding 1/2 at a time until incorporated.
- Next add the shredded coconut until incorporated.
- Roll into even balls, or use a spoon to dollop cookies onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown around the edges. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- To make the chocolate drizzle, melt chocolate chips in the microwave on low power, about 60 seconds. Remove and mix until chocolate is melted (*may vary according to your microwave)
- Pour the melted chocolate into a ziplock bag or piping bag, cut the tip of the bag, and pipe in a zig-zag across half the cookies.
- Let cool until chocolate is dry.
- Store in a Tupperware.
*For flax-egg mix 1 tbsp flax seeds with 3 tbsp water and let sit for 5 minutes to “gel”.