I remember when I had my first Twix chocolate bar, the delicious chocolate, the crunchy cookie, and that gooey caramel. In fact, it quickly became one of my favourites!
Unfortunately, eating chocolate bars don’t provide much nutritional value, and are loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients.
That’s why I decided to make this copycat healthy vegan Twix. This healthy vegan Twix recipe is, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and filled with high quality nutritious ingredients like coconut oil and dark chocolate.
In fact, this chocolate bar is so healthy, you could eat it for breakfast. What more could you ask for?
- ½ cup blanched almonds
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp almond extract (can sub vanilla extract)
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups 70% high quality dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, pulse your almonds until they form a crumby texture.
- Then add the flour, salt, coconut oil, maple syrup, and pulse until a dough forms.
- Line an 8 x 4 inch pan (the size you would use to make a banana bread) with parchment paper, and press your dough down to fill the bottom.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until slightly golden around the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Place your tahini, maple syrup, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 5-7 minutes, until a thick caramel texture forms. If you want a thicker caramel, you can cook it a few minutes longer. Let cool slightly on counter for 10 minutes.
- Spread your caramel layer on top of the cookie layer, and place in the fridge to firm up for 30 minutes.
- In a double broiler, or microwave, melt your chocolate until completely smooth.
- Remove bars from fridge, carefully remove them from the pan, and cut into bars.
- With a fork gently dunk each bar into the melted chocolate, letting any excess chocolate drip off.
- Place your coated bars on a pan with parchment paper back into the fridge to harden for 15 minutes.
- Store in the fridge in an air tight container.