This chickpea omelette with spinach and spring peas will be your new favourite spring go-to breakfast recipe!
I come to you today in celebration of spring!
Alright, I’m kind of kidding…since technically it’s not Spring yet, and there’s still piles and piles of snow outside. BUT, it is March, and that means we’re one step closer to warm sunny weather.
If you live in a part of the word with long drawn out winters, then you probably get how I’m feeling right about now. And if you live somewhere hot and sunny, well…I’m definitely a little jealous of you right now!
But in all seriousness, in celebration of the beginning of March, I wanted to make a recipe with all the spring feels!
This chickpea omelette with spinach and spring peas is officially my new favourite breakfast that I think I’ll be enjoying probably all month long.
Since the recipe itself makes enough batter to make 3-4 omelettes, I had some leftover batter which I popped into the fridge overnight to see how it would hold up until the next morning.
Well, I’m super happy to announce that you can prepare the batter for this omelette in advance and store it in the fridge. (Aka if your pressed for time in the morning and looking at this recipe thinking “I don’t have time to throw this all together before work” you can just make the batter the night before and problem sovled!)
You will still have to cook it up in the morning, but that’s the quick and easy part.
This chickpea omelette with spinach and spring peas is:
- high in protein
- high in fibre
It’s also extremely versatile and you can add whatever seasoning or herbs you want into the batter, or fill it with whatever you want.
I opted to use spring peas in my recipe because well, SPRING! But feel free to use any veggies you have lying around in your fridge waiting to be cooked up!
Some other vegan favourites from the blog:
- Northern-style vegan Thai coconut soup
- Kale Caesar salad with crispy smoked chickpeas
- Spicy baked peanut butter tofu
- Chickpea salad and avocado smash sandwich
A vegan omelette made out of chickpea flour and stuffed with sauteed spinach and peas
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cups spinach, packed
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Whisk the chickpea flour, ground flax seeds, baking powder, salt, turmeric, garlic powder, and water together in a bowl until smooth. Set aside and let sit for 5-10 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat and add the onions to the pan, letting cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium, and add the spinach, peas, and garlic to the pan. The spinach will shrink a lot!
- Season the filling with salt & pepper, then remove from heat and set aside while you make the omelette.
- Spray a 10-inch non-stick pan generously with cooking spray and heat the pan on medium-high heat.
- Spoon a ladleful of the omelette batter into the pan, using your other hand to swirl the pan in a circular motion, so the batter spreads out evenly on the pan.
- Let cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes until golden brown on the bottom.
- Add your filling to the omelette, then fold in half over the filling.
- Serve immediately.
Use any vegetables you like for the filling of the omelette
store extra batter in a jar in the fridge to use for another time
Keywords: vegan omelette
This post contains affiliate links. I only recommend products I know, trust and love!