Chocolate Tahini Date Shake
This Chocolate Tahini Date Shake is filled with creamy tahini, dates and cocoa powder for a flavour combination that tastes like a rich dessert. This shake only takes 5 minutes to prepare and is naturally vegan, gluten-free and high in protein!
An easy breakfast smoothie
Shakes and smoothies are one of my favorite breakfasts to enjoy when I’m looking for an option that is healthy, grain-free and filled with vitamins and nutrients.
The only problem with many shakes and smoothies is that they leave you feeling hungry minutes after you drink them, so I wanted to make a shake recipe that not only tastes delicious but will ACTUALLY leave you feeling full and satisfied for hours.
If you feel like baking or making other sweet treats with dates, these Raw Salted Caramel Slice and this Almond Butter Stuffed Dates are the perfect sweets to make and enjoy!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This shake is naturally vegan, gluten-free and grain-free for a healthy breakfast that everyone can enjoy.
- It comes together in just 5 minutes and is perfect to enjoy right away or to take on the go for the gym or work.
- The combination of tahini and cocoa makes this shake taste like a rich and indulgent milkshake.
How to make this chocolate tahini date shake
Add all the ingredients except the cocoa together in a high-speed blender. I recommend using frozen bananas rather than fresh bananas to get a nice and creamy texture.
Blend the ingredients together until smooth. Then, pour out half the mixture and add the cocoa and blend again. This is totally optional, but it gives the shake a nice swirl effect.
Pour into a tall glass to enjoy right away, or into a bottle or mason jar to take on the go! You can also make this ahead of time and store it in the fridge when you’re ready for breakfast.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Make sure to use Medjool dates rather than regular dates in this smoothie. Medjool dates are larger, stickier and have a caramel-like flavour which compliments the tahini in this shake.
- Use a brand of tahini that is runny preferably. Some tahini brands may be thicker and more of a spread. Both can be used in the shake, but runnier tahini will be easier to blend up. If you don’t like tahini, you can use almond butter or cashew butter as an alternative.
- Add the protein powder to the blender first before the rest of the ingredients. This way when you turn on the blender, the powder won’t spray all over the blender and get stuck to the top. Adding it in first before the rest of the ingredients will help it all blend together more smoothly.
- Make sure to use frozen bananas in this recipe. Frozen Bananas will give the shake a creamier and thicker texture.
More shake recipes to tryPrint
Chocolate Tahini Date Shake
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 shakes 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
A shake made with a delicious blend of bananas, dates, tahini and vanilla protein!
- 1 scoop protein powder of choice (can leave out)
- 1 cup almond milk (can sub any plant-based milk)
- 2 bananas, frozen
- 4 pitted medjool dates
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Combine all the ingredients except the cocoa powder in a blender until smooth.
- Pour out half the mixture into 2 glasses, then add the cocoa powder and blend again.
- Pour the rest of the mixture into the glasses and use a spoon or straw to create a swirl effect.
Making a swirl in this shake is completley optional. You can also add the cocoa powder right away blend.
Make sure to use Medjool dates rather than regular dates in this shake.
Add the protein powder to the blender first and then the rest of the ingredients. This will prevent the powder from spraying all over your blender.
Use frozen bananas for a creamy and thick shake. If you use fresh bananas you will end up a very liquidy shake.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 370
- Sugar: 20g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: smoothie with tahini, tahini protein shake
If you tried this Chocolate Tahini Date Shake or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!
Super delicious and filling!!
Love love love this recipe. I live in Italy where nut butters are difficult to find, but tahini is in abundance. I used only one banana and two dates, and felt that the shake was still very sweet. I think next time I will take it down to one date, and may experiment with adding a veggie to the mix like spinach or micro – greens to get a lil green action in there! Grazie Mile!
Happy you love the recipe!
I added a pinch of sea salt to finish it off and it was delicious. Will be using this recipe regularly
Thanks for the review scott! Glad you enjoyed 🙂
I rarely leave reviews for recipes but I had to come back around and take the time to review this one. It. Is FABULOUS!! So much better than I expected. I was nervous to try it, but I love tahini so I figured, why not? So glad I did! Even my 12 year old daughter loved it and asked to have it for breakfast the next morning! More tahini shake recipes please!!
Hi Brandi, thank you for the review! I’m so happy to hear both you and your daughter loved this recipe! I find it really tastes like a creamy milkshake, but much healthier and perfect for breakfast! If you love tahini stay tuned for a delicious tahini granola recipe that will be coming out soon!