Strawberries and rhubarb. It’s a classic combination of sweet and sour with just the right amount of tang. I love this combination, especially around the end of August when local strawberries are in abundance and fresh rhubarb is growing.
This healthy strawberry rhubarb crisp is (of course) a healthier version of a classic crisp. It’s made with whole grains, is refined-sugar free, and even has the addition of chia seeds in the filling! You can also modify the filling with any fresh local fruits you have on hand. (Toss in some blackberries, or blueberries!)
A healthy strawberry rhubarb crisp makes the perfect summer dessert that is easy, healthy, and delicious! Serve it up on it’s own, with ice cream, or a dollop of your favourite yogurt.Print
Healthy Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- juice of half an orange
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup large flake oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour (can use any other flour too)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together your chopped strawberries, chopped rhubarb, orange juice, maple syrup, chia seeds, vanilla, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together your oats, buckwheat flour, and coconut sugar.
- Chop your butter into little cubes.
- Using your hands, crumble the coconut oil into your oat mixture until you had small grains of butter mixed throughout.
- Pour your filling into a cast iron skillet, or baking dish and spread evenly.
- Cover with your crumble topping.
- Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: Healthy Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, how to make healthy crisps
If you like this recipe, you have also like my blueberry granola tarts.
Background from this recipe from: https://choosingchia.com//www.inkandelm.com/