This healthy strawberry rhubarb crisp is easy to make and a dessert that everyone will love! It’s filled with fresh strawberries and rhubarb and topped off with a gluten-free crisp topping. It’s even healthy enough to eat for breakfast!
A healthy crisp recipe everyone will love
One dessert I absolutely love making during the summertime is a crisp. Unlike a pie, it’s SO easy to throw together and is always a crowd pleaser. Crisps are made with a base of fruit and topped off with an oat crumble topping. It then gets baked up to crispy perfection! Strawberry rhubarb is a flavor match made in heaven.
This healthy strawberry rhubarb crisp is one of those recipes that is perfect to throw together last minute when you need an easy dessert and is perfect to serve during the summertime.
This crisp is sweetened with coconut sugar, and the crisp topping is made with a mix of gluten-free whole oats and almond flour, so it’s healthier than your average crisp.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- All you need to make this crisp is a handful of simple ingredients, a mixing bowl, a food processor (optional), and a baking dish.
- The combination of sweet summer strawberries and tart rhubarb is to die for!
- This crisp recipe is easily adaptable and can be made with frozen fruit if needed, or any fresh fruit you have on hand like berries, peaches or apples.
How to make a healthy strawberry rhubarb crisp
Cut up the strawberries and rhubarb into small pieces, then add some coconut sugar, orange juice and cornstarch tossing it all together.
Mix the crisp topping ingredients together in either a food processor or just a large bowl using your hands until it’s crumbly.
Pour the berry mixture into a baking dish and top with the crumble topping.
Bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes, then let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe tips and variations
- Use fresh strawberries and rhubarb for best results.
- Make sure to mix the cornstarch with the orange juice before adding it to the fruit to help it dissolve and avoid having any little cornstarch clumps in the crisp.
- To make this crisp paleo, substitute the oats with crushed walnuts or pecans.
- You can use any fruit you have on hand to make this recipe like apples, peaches, cherries or any type of berry.
Other summer dessert recipes to try
If you tried this healthy strawberry rhubarb crisp or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This crisp is the perfect recipe for a simple and healthy summer dessert!
- 3 cups strawberries, cut in halves
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the chopped strawberries and rhubarb to a large mixing bowl. Mix the orange juice, cornstarch and maple syrup together until combined and then add to the mixing bowl, tossing everything together.
- In a food processor, add all the crisp topping ingredients and pulse until crumbly. You can alternatively use a bowl and your hands, pressing until you get a crumbly mixture.
- Pour the fruit mixture into an 8×8 inch baking dish then add the crumble topping.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Use fresh strawberries and rhubarb for best results.
Make sure to mix the cornstarch with the orange juice before adding it to the fruit to help it dissolve and avoid having any little cornstarch clumps in the crisp.
To make this crisp paleo, substitute the oats with crushed walnuts or pecans. You can use any fruit you have on hand to make this recipe like apples, peaches, cherries or any type of berry.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 50mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 2.5g
Keywords: strawberry rhubarb crisp, gluten-free crisp, vegan crisp
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!