Scrambled tofu breakfast tacos
These scrambled tofu breakfast tacos are loaded with creamy guacamole and chilli cumin flavoured scrambled tofu. Top them off with some lime and fresh cilantro for a healthy and delicious breakfast!
I couldn’t let Cinco de Mayo pass without making a taco recipe!
Rather than making traditional dinner tacos, I thought why not start the day with some healthy scrambled tofu breakfast tacos? Cinco de Mayo is on a Saturday this year after all!
I love Mexican food. When I was in Tulum in February I must have had guacamole and tacos daily. One thing I loved about the food in Tulum is that there were so many fresh and healthy options!
That’s why I also love to prepare Mexican food at home. You can create so many different healthy vegetarian recipes. Black beans, sweet potato and tofu are all great veggie options to enjoy in Mexican cuisine.
For this recipe, I opted for tofu as the protein. And not just any tofu, scrambled tofu!
Scrambled tofu is a great vegan replacement for scrambled eggs. (It even kind of looks like scrambled egg,s doesn’t it?) The trick to making the tofu yellow like eggs is to add some turmeric to the recipe. Though if you’re not a fan of turmeric, you can simply just leave it out.
These scrambled tofu breakfast tacos are served up on corn tortillas, which if you can find I highly recommend them as opposed to using flour tortillas. For one, they are naturally gluten-free. They also have such a great authentic taste to them and they go fantastic with this tofu.
These scrambled tofu breakfast tacos are:
- High in protein
- Take 15 minutes to make
If you’re in need of some more Mexican inspired recipes to celebrate this weekend, here are some more favourites from the blog:
- Chipotle-style burrito bowls
- Roasted stuffed sweet potatoes with chipotle quinoa
- Baked corn chips with guacamole and mango salsa
Scrambled tofu breakfast tacos
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Mexican
Breakfast tacos stuffed with guacamole and scrambled tofu
- 1 pack corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 brick tofu
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 avocados
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the avocado oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat and add the onion to the pan.
- Let cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Break apart and crumble the tofu with your hands. (or alternatively pulse a few times in a food processor until it is crumbled) At the tofu to the pan and lower the heat to medium.
- Add the salt, black pepper, chilli powder, cumin, and turmeric and stir all together. Let cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Next prepare the guacamole by scooping out the avocados into a bowl along with the lime, cilantro, cayenne, salt and pepper. Use a fork to mash it all together.
- To assemble the tacos, toast the corn tortillas until warm. Scoop a spoon of the guacamole followed by the tofu scramble. Serve with lime and cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1 taco
- Calories: 224
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: vegan breakfast ideas, tofu taco recipe
I just love all Mexican flavors as well and these capture them perfectly while remaining vegan (can be hard to create authentic tasting Mexican cuisine without chicken, beef & chorizo)! I made these breakfast tacos last weekend during a “friends reunion” and everyone loved them! Great for brunch, lunch….well any time of day if it is up to me!
Hi Hannah, thank you for the review! Happy to hear you and your friends all enjoyed these breakfast tacos:)