Thai Tuna Tartare is one of my favorite dinners to make! It requires zero heating and cooking, is easy to make, and looks beautiful! If your thinking of having guests over, it’s a great appetizer, or main course to impress your guests! I also enjoy making this dish just for myself when I want something quick to make. I like to go to my local fish market to get a nice fresh piece of red tuna for this recipe. It’s gluten-free, paleo, high-protein, low-fat, packed and with omegas.
I would recommend using about 70 grams of tuna per person for an appetizer, and 150 grams of tuna per person as a main course. I love cooking with Thai ingredients. They are so fresh and vibrant! Having traveled to Thailand twice now I keep picking up more tricks to achieve that perfect Thai balance! The Thai flavors in this tartare really compliment the fresh fish. Enjoy it on its own, or on top of your favorite crackers. I personally enjoy this tartare on top of gluten-free multigrain crispy rice crackers!
Learn how to make a tuna tartare at home!
- 300 grams sushi grade tuna
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup cucumber
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped small
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch Thai basil,chopped
- 4 tbsp Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (can also use vegetable oil)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Chop the tuna into small cubes, set aside.
- in a small bowl, gently mush the avocado and mix with the cucumber, half the cilantro, salt, and pepper. set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the remaining sauce ingredients.
- Begin to pour the sauce into the bowl of tuna. (i like to leave a bit of sauce on the side for plating)
- Use a metal round form ring, or spring form ring to plate your tartare. Start by layering the avocado mixture on the bottom, packed firmly. Next add the tuna layer on top, packed firmly. Gently remove the mold.
- *you can also use a small cup, or mug to build a round tartare, and simply flip it over onto a plate to achieve the same look.
Keywords: How to make tuna tartare