I’ve always been a big fan of porridge for breakfast. Especially in the colder months when I wake up, it’s still dark outside, and I can feel the cool air slipping into my home even when the heat is on.
In these cases, I like a throw on an oversize sweater, make a cup off coffee, and enjoy a nice bowl of warming buckwheat porridge. This breakfast has been my new go-to lately. If you’re one of these people who loves oatmeal for breakfast, then you’re going to love buckwheat porridge just as much. Plus it’s gluten-free, and easily digestible!
I like to serve up my warming buckwheat porridge with cinnamon, maple syrup, and top it off with fresh fruit and flaked coconut. You can also try different combinations with this buckwheat porridge and add flavours the same you would to oatmeal. Try making it with some brown sugar, peanut butter, or dark chocolate chips if desired!
Warming buckwheat porridge
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats, soaked in water overnight
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup-1 cup almond milk
- -maple syrup
- -fruit & dried fruit
- -flaked coconut
- -nuts & seeds
- Soak your buckwheat groats in a bowl of water on the countertop overnight. (This will allow them to soften)
- The next morning, add your buckwheat groats & 1/2 cup water to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour your buckwheat into a pot, on medium heat. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and 1/2 cup of almond milk and stir together. Add more almond milk if desired for a creamier texture.
- Cook together for 3-5 minutes until warmed through.
- Serve in a bowl with desired toppings.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 466
- Sugar: 34g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 85g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: Warming buckwheat porridge, vegan porridge, how to make porridge
*You can easily double this recipe and store extras in the fridge for the next morning.