This farmers market vegan breakfast bowl is loaded with scrambled tofu, baked hash browns, and quinoa to fuel you up for the day!
I’m back in the kitchen after a much needed week away in Mexico. How strange it was to not cook a single thing for an entire week! It was even more strange to not do any dishes for an entire week! (Which is how I usually spend a large chunk of my day after lots of recipe development.)After being on holiday I always get really excited to cook again. Especially healthy food after a week of not so healthy indulgences. (A girls gotta have some pina coladas and ice cream once in a while after all!) So I came home, headed straight to the farmers market, grabbed some fresh ingredients and got right too it.
The great thing about this farmers market vegan breakfast bowl is that you can substitute all the veggies for what you have available and in season at your local farmers market! I found peppers and spinach so thats what went into mine. But maybe you’ll find some kale, tomatoes, or squash to add into you scramble!
- ½ cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 brick firm tofu
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 medium potatoes
- ¼ onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt & pepper
- handful parsley, or other herbs
- lemon wedge
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. set aside.
- Pat tofu dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Using your hands, crumble the tofu into small chunks.
- Heat avocado oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Add the green onion, tofu and seasoning and cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add the red pepper and spinach. Mix well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- To prepare your hash browns, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grate your potatoes and onion with a large grater, or pulse a couple times in a food processor. Using a kitchen cloth or paper towels, squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Mix the potatoes, onion, olive oil, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Form into patties and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- To assemble the bowls, place quinoa on the bottom, the top with tofu scramble and hash browns. Garnish with some chopped parsley and lemon.