These Dragon Bowls are a healthy vegan and gluten-free buddha bowl recipe that is loaded with fresh veggies, brown rice, tofu and the most delicious sauce! You’ll love making these bowls for meal prep and to have on hand for a healthy lunch or dinner.
What is a Dragon Bowl?
Many of us have heard of buddha bowls before. For those who haven’t, it’s basically just a bowl of whole grains, raw veggies, roasted veggies, various greens, and other nutritious toppings. It’s a wonderful vegan option that will keep you full and satisfied. (You’ll also get in your veggie goals for the day!)
This recipe goes one step further than a buddha bowl, with a special sauce…dragon sauce! There’s a restaurant here in Montreal called Aux Vivres that serves up a hearty bowl with this sauce called “a dragon bowl”. This recipe is inspired by their dragon bowl. is
Why you’ll love this recipe
- These dragon bowls are the perfect healthy vegan and gluten-free meal and are loaded with fibre, protein and tons of nutrients.
- This recipe is great to make for food prep. All of the ingredients can be made and stored in separate containers in the fridge and be put together quickly when you’re ready to eat!
- The sauce for this recipe is the secret ingredient that will bring these bowls to the next level!
How to make Dragon Bowls
Dragon bowls can be put together in a few very simple steps. Cook the rice according to package directions, chop, grate, or slice the veggies how you like, and pan-fry the tofu. While the tofu is cooking, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce. Then make piles of all the ingredients into your bowl.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Make sure to use firm tofu for this recipe if you want crispy cubes of tofu. Don’t rush cooking the tofu either, give it time to brown on each side as you fry up the cubes in a pan.
- Cut the veggies in different ways to add texture to the bowl. I like to grate the beets, peel the carrots, thinly slice the cabbage, and slice the avocado. You can cut these in any way you like.
- Make a double batch of dragon sauce to have some on hand in the fridge for the week. It’s delicious on salads and in bowls.
More vegan bowls to try
If you tried these Dragon Bowls or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
These dragon bowls are loaded with brown rice, tofu, veggies and topped off with dragon sauce for a delicious and healthy meal!
- 1/2 block firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil, or any other high heating oil
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked according to package directoins
- 1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 beet, shredded
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- alfalfa sprouts (or any other sprouts)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Heat a pan with your olive oil. Cut tofu into cubes and place them in the pan, on medium heat. Let eat side cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown on each side. then remove from heat.
- To make your sauce, whisk all ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- To assemble your bowl, spoon some brown rice the bottom of your bowl. Place your cabbage, beets, carrots, and sprouts, avocado, and tofu in little piles on top. Drizzle dragon sauce on top and enjoy!
if you want crispy cubes of tofu. Don’t rush cooking the tofu either, give it time to brown on each side as you fry up the cubes in a pan.
Cut the veggies in different ways to add texture to the bowl. I like to grate the beets, peel the carrots, thinly slice the cabbage, and slice the avocado. You can cut these in any way you like.
Make a double batch of dragon sauce to have some on hand in the fridge for the week. It’s delicious on salads and in bowls.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 550
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 250mg
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: healthy buddha bowl, vegan bowl
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!