Vegan Poke Bowl
These Vegan Poke Bowls make for a healthy, fresh and light dinner. Filled with rice, tofu, and fresh greens like edamame, green apple, and avocados, it’s the perfect assembly of flavour!
This is an old recipe from the blog that has been updated to make it even better!
This Vegan Poke Bowl is perfect for when you want something easy to make and filling, that still feels light and fresh.
This recipe also happens to be amazing for meal prep! Prep all the ingredients and keep them stored in the fridge. Then when you’re ready to eat, simply add everything to a bowl and enjoy!
So what is a poke bowl anyway?
Well, it’s technically a bowl usually served with raw fish native to Hawaii. It starts with rice on the bottom and is then topped off with some cut up fresh tuna or salmon, and an assortment of veggies and even some fruit (like mangos.)
This poke bowl, however, is an easy healthy vegan recipe option in place of the more “traditional” poke. Poke bowls are a great healthy option for lunch or dinner. This vegan version is made with tofu, cubed up, pan fried and tossed in a delicious sesame sauce.
How to make a vegan poke bowl
- Cook the rice according to package directions
- At the same time, cook the tofu in the oven until crispy
- While the tofu and rice cook, prepare the sauce and cut up the bowl toppings
How to assemble a poke bowl
Layer rice on the bottom of the bowl, then add small piles of each topping around the circumference of the bowl, and in the middle.
Tips for making a perfect vegan poke bowl
- Use sushi rice: traditional poke bowls use sushi rice, which has a different texture than a long grain rice like basmati. Sushi rice will give you the best tasting poke bowl!
- Be patience with your tofu: allow a cook 2 minutes for your tofu to cook on each side so it becomes nice and crispy
- Use a deep bowl: or a bowl with a high rim so it will be easy to mix up your poke bowl when you add the sauce.
Poke bowl topping variations
One thing I love about poke bowls is how versatile they are and how many different topping options you can add to them! Here are a few of my other favourites:
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Pickled red onions
More tofu recipes to try
A simple Vegan Poke Bowl that’s light, fresh and packed with flavour!
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 pack extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 cup sushi rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1 green apple, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cucumber, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup edamame, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup sprouts of choice (I like radish sprouts)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Cook the tofu: Heat the oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat then add the tofu and let cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until crispy. Remove from heat and toss with 1 tsp soy sauce.
- Prepare the sauce: Mix all the sauce ingredients together. Taste and adjust if needed (I like mine spicy!)
- Put it together: Place the rice at the bottom of your bowl and make little piles with all your toppings. Pour sauce on top of your bowl and mix it all up together. (That’s the fun part!)
Make sure to use sushi rice for these bowls! Other types of rice will work, but sushi rice goes the best in a poke bowl.
Give your tofu enough time to cook on each side so it becomes nice and crispy.
Taste your sauce before putting it on your bowl and adjust to your taste if needed. I like my sauce spicy so I usually add more sriracha.
Use gluten-free certified soy sauce if needed.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 460
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 500mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 11.5g
Keywords: vegan poke bowl, tofu poke bowl
If you tried this Vegan Poke Bowl or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!