Lemon Poppy Seed Spelt Pancakes
These lemon poppy seed spelt pancakes are filled with lemon and poppy seed flavour for a healthy brunch or breakfast. Spelt flour is a healthier alternative to using regular flour that you’ll love in this pancake recipe!
I’ve been on a pancake kick lately hopping on the #pancakesunday trend on Instagram.
Sunday is a great day to make pancakes since it’s the perfect time for a slowed-down morning where you can spend time in the kitchen making a little bit more a special breakfast or brunch than on a weekday.
These lemon poppy seed spelt pancakes are my new favourite for spring. They have a refreshing vibrant lemony flavour and are speckled with poppy seeds.
Now let’s talk a bit about the secret to getting light and fluffy pancakes. The key to light and fluffy pancakes is to NOT overmix the batter. I’m serious here, you may be tempted to keep whisking it away but don’t. A few little clumps in your batter is okay.
Another thing you’ll want to make sure of is that your baking powder isn’t stale. (i.e. has been sitting in the back of your pantry for two years.) Fresh baking powder will lead to dreamy fluffy pancakes!
I love to top these pancakes with some fresh blackberries, blueberries and a generous amount of maple syrup. but these would also be delicious topped with any fresh fruits, yogurts, or whipped coconut cream.
These lemon poppy seed spelt pancakes are:
- Make with wholesome ingredients
- Filled with vibrant lemon flavour
- Quick & easy to make
You can even make these pancakes ahead of time and store them in the freezer to take out and toast when you want!Print
Spelt flour pancakes filled with lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- Mix the spelt flour, baking powder, lemon zest, poppy seeds and salt together in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk, avocado oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined. Do not overmix!
- Oil a large non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Pour a large scoop of the batter into the pan and cook until brown on each side (about 2-3 minutes on one side and 1 minute on the second side)
- Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit
You can substitute regular flour or whole-grain flour for the spelt flour.
- Serving Size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 115
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: healthy pancakes, lemon poppyseed pancakes, healthy breakfast recipe
This post contains affiliate links. I only recommend products I know, trust and love!