This recipe for Peanut Butter Overnight Oats only takes 5 minutes to prepare and makes a healthy delicious breakfast that is perfect for a busy morning! Simply prepare the oats in the evening and wake up to breakfast ready to go!
If there’s one recipe that is the ultimate quick & easy breakfast, it’s overnight oats. Why? Because all you have to do in the morning is take out your jar of overnight oats, grab a spoon, and enjoy. That. Is. It.
This recipe is also the perfect “on the go” breakfast since it can be prepared directly into little jars and taken with you to the gym or work in the morning. Overnight oat jars are also great to pack for kids in their lunchbox! If you’re looking for other flavour varieties make sure to try these carrot cake overnight oats next!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This recipe only requires about 5 minutes of your time to make. Seriously, just 5 minutes.
- These overnight oats are super creamy and chewy and loaded with peanut butter so they taste like a delicious peanut butter and oatmeal cookie.
- The possibilities for add-ins to this recipe are endless. Fruit, jams, nuts and seeds are all great mixed in these oats!
Peanut Butter Overnight Oats Ingredients
- Rolled oats: These are also sometimes called old fashioned oats and are the entire oat. Rolled oats give the overnight oats a chewy texture that is absolutely delicious. Don’t substitute quick oats or steel cut oats in this recipe! (Though here’s a recipe for overnight steel cut oats)
- Peanut butter: The star ingredient! You can use either natural peanut butter, regular peanut butter or crunchy peanut butter. All will work well for this recipe and will add 8g of protein to this recipe!
- Chia seeds: A classic ingredient to add to overnight oats. Not only do these little seeds help thicken the oats, but they will also give you a superfood boost of Omega-3s, fibre, iron and magnesium.
- Coconut yogurt: You can use any yogurt. For creaminess and even more protein
- Cinnamon: Just because it tastes good.
- Maple syrup: For a hint of sweetness! You can use any type of sweetener you love.
- Almond milk: Or any type of milk you like. The oats will absorb the liquid and become soft and chewy! The longer you let them sit the more they will thicken.
- Vanilla extract: Optional, but totally recommended to really enhance the flavour.
How to make overnight oats with peanut butter
Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl or in a jar. (If I’m making these in small jars, I like to mix everything together in a mixing bowl then divide the oats between several jars. If you prefer you can make this directly in a large jar.)
Add the wet ingredients and mix everything together until it’s well incorporated.
Leave the mixture in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, or transfer the oat mixture directly to your jars at this point and place in the fridge overnight to set.
Remove in the morning and enjoy! I like to mix a bit of strawberry jam into my Peanut Butter Overnight Oats.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Make sure to use rolled oats (or old fashioned oats) in this recipe! DO NOT substitute steel-cut oats.
- If making this recipe directly in a jar, make sure to use a large jar so it’s easy to mix. After adding all the ingredients to the jar give it a good shake to incorporate all the ingredients.
- If you’d like to add fruit to this recipe, I recommend adding it in the morning after the oats have set up in the fridge overnight.
- While you can use any type of peanut butter you love in this recipe, natural peanut butter will mix in more easily since it’s runnier.
Overnight oats FAQ
Can Instant oats be used for overnight oats?
Technically yes. Instant oats will work fine for overnight oats if that’s what you have on hand, however, it will change the final texture of the overnight oats. Instant oats will give you a very soft and creamy texture and will soak up the liquid faster, so they can be enjoyed after sitting for just 4 hours.
How long are overnight oats good for?
Overnight oats will last about 4-5 days in the fridge. Keep in mind that each day the oats will become softer, and they will also become thicker. I personally like to enjoy my overnight within 2 days of making them.
Are overnight oats healthy?
Yes! Oats are a great whole-grain option which is perfect for breakfast. They’re loaded with fibre so they will keep you feeling full and fuel you for your morning. The addition of peanut butter and chia seeds in this recipe also add some extra protein and essential minerals which are good for you.
What can I eat with overnight oats?
Overnight oats are best enjoyed with fruits, nuts, seeds or even chocolate. Some great options to add to this recipe include sliced banana, berries. dark chocolate chips, crushed peanuts and shredded coconut.
More healthy breakfast recipes to try:
If you tried these Peanut Butter Overnight Oats or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Peanut Butter Overnight Oats make the best breakfast for busy mornings! They only take 5 minutes to prepare the night before and are healthy, dairy-free and filled with protein!
- Combine all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl or directly in a large jar. Mix together until everything is incorporated.
- Place covered in the fridge overnight. In the morning wake up and breakast is ready to go!
Make sure to use rolled oat for this recipe for best results. Do not substitute steel cut oats! If making this recipe directly in a jar, use a large jar and just seal and shake the jar to mix everything together. You can use any type of peanut butter in this recipe, but natural runny peanut butter will mix in the easiest.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 330
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 7.5g
- Protein: 9g
Keywords: healthy overnight oats recipe, overnight oats with peanut butter
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!