Spicy Thai vegan ramen
This Spicy Thai Vegan Ramen is so easy to make and has all the flavours you love in a traditional Thai soup with a little twist!
Ramen Ramen Ramennnnn!!
Yes friends! I’m super excited about today’s recipe. Because I. Love. Ramen.
What is Thai vegan ramen:
oday’s ramen is straying away from a traditional recipe. (Though if you’re looking for that, then you can make this quick & easy vegan ramen) This recipe is for spicy Thai vegan ramen. Because besides loving ramen, I also love Thai food.
And when I’m indecisive about which one of these I want to eat for dinner my mind wanders off to crazy places. Why choose when you can have both? Hence here you go, Thai soup, and ramen soup all wrapped up in one. BOOM. *drops the mic.*
But really, if you’re a fan of Thai soup this recipe is a twist on the classic Thai Tom Yum soup which features fragrant ingredients like lemongrass, galangal ginger and kafir lime leaves. If you’re reading these ingredients and thinking where exactly do I find those?! Most asian grocery stores will have these ingredients. (I’ve even seen big chain grocery stores carrying lemongrass these days!)
The soup then gets some traditional Japanese flavour added to it with some shitake mushrooms and traditional ramen noodles. So all in all we’ve got one delicious soup going on here!
A few notes on the recipe:
So let’s chat a bit about the ingredients. Most of the ingredients in the recipe can be found at your local asian grocery store. If you can’t find galangal ginger, you can substitute this with regular ginger. If you can’t find kafir lime leaves, you can substitute with a squeeze of lime juice. This soup is totally customizable!
You can use either fresh or dried shitake mushrooms in this soup. I like using fresh ones best, but either will work just fine!
For the Thai curry paste, double check the ingredients of the brand you buy if you want to ensure that the recipe is 100% vegetarian/vegan friendly. Some Thai curry pastes will contain shrimp paste in them, so just make sure the one you get doesn’t contain shrimp paste.
You can use any type of ramen noodles you like for the soup. Gluten-free ramen noodles, traditional ramen noodles, or just typical ramen noodle packets. All will work well!
This spicy Thai vegan ramen is:
- Loaded with bold Thai flavours
- Super creamy
- Filled with slurpy chewy ramen noodles, YUM.
More Thai recipes to try
This spicy Thai ramen is like a cross between a Thai Tom Yum soup and a classic Japanese Ramen!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1-inch cube galangal ginger
- 4 kafir lime leaves
- 1/2 cup shitake mushrooms, cut in halves
- 1–2 tbsp Thai red curry paste*
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1–2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp agave (can sub maple syrup, coconut sugar…etc.)
- A squeeze of lime juice
- 1/2 pack of soft tofu, cut into cubes (approx. 200g)
- 2 packs ramen noodles of choice
- Heat the avocado oil in a pot on medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, lemon grass, and galangal ginger and let cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the kafir lime leaves, shitake mushrooms and Thai red curry paste and mix together, letting cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the ramen noodles and let it come to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the ramen noodles and let cook for 2-3 minutes until the noodles are soft.
- Serve immediately
*Some red curry pastes will have shrimp paste in them. Make sure to check the ingredients label to ensure it’s vegan if needed.
Optionally garnish this soup with some sliced green onions and sesame seeds!
Depending on the salt in the broth you use and brand of curry paste you use you may need to add a little more curry paste and soy sauce. Taste as you go and adjust accordingly
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: Vegan ramen soup, healthy Thai soup
If you tried this Spicy Thai Vegan Ramen or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!