Easy Vegetarian Laksa
This recipe for Easy Vegetarian Laksa comes together in under 30 minutes for a delicious soup you’ll love! This recipe is also naturally vegan and gluten-free.
Laksa ready in under 30 minutes
This recipe is one of those soup recipes that tastes like it’s been cooking on the stove for an entire day, when in reality it takes less than 30 minutes to make from start to finish.
Laksa can be made with a homemade laksa paste, but for this recipe, we’re using store-bought laksa paste to save time. (And because honestly, the store-bought stuff is really great.) This recipe is for a vegan and vegetarian-friendly Laksa that is also naturally gluten-free. (just make sure to use rice noodles!)
This is not an authentic Laksa recipe, but my own take on a traditional Laksa to make it vegetarian and vegan-friendly.
What is Laksa paste made of?
Laksa paste is a curry paste from South East Asia made with a blend of ingredients like chillies, lemongrass, garlic, galangal ginger and a handful of other spices.
All those spices get blended together to create a rich tasting paste that is used as the base flavour in a laksa soup.
What can you substitute for Laksa paste?
If you can’t find laksa paste at your local grocery store or local asian market, don’t worry!
You can use Thai red or yellow curry paste instead in this recipe. Thai curry pastes have very similar ingredients and a very similar flavour profile to laksa paste.
Ingredients in this recipe
- Laksa paste: This is what gives this recipe that classic curry flavour. You can also use a Thai curry paste.
- Curry powder: This complements the flavour of the curry paste, without adding extra spiciness.
- Lemongrass: This gives a fresh taste and aroma to the soup
- Vegetable broth: Or any kind of broth you like
- Coconut milk: A classic ingredient in Laksa that makes it rich and creamy.
- Tamari: To season the soup
- Brown sugar: Adds a hint of sweetness to the soup and helps balance the flavours.
- Noodles: Rice noodles, ramen noodles or Chinese egg noodles are all great options
- Soft tofu: You can use fried puff tofu for a more traditional Laksa if you can find it, but soft tofu is delicious too.
- Bok choy: For a bit of veg. you can use any dark leafy green you love.
How to make this recipe
- Cook the laksa paste in a large pot until fragrant, then add the curry powder and lemongrass and mix together.
- Next add the broth and bring to a boil. Season with soy sauce and coconut sugar and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in your noodles, tofu and bok choy and serve.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Make sure to add the Laksa or curry paste to the heated pot first before adding the broth. It should start to sizzle just slightly. This helps release all the aromas and “toasts” the paste, which will help bring out the flavour.
- If using a Thai curry paste instead of laksa paste, add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder to the pot to get that vibrant yellow Laksa colour.
- DO NOT cook your noodles directly in the soup broth. they will absorb all the soup liquid and you will be left with very little broth. Cook them separately, then add them to the soup when you’re ready to serve.
- Taste as you go and adjust seasoning as needed. Depending on the brand of broth you use, you may find you need a bit more or less soy sauce. You can also add some more laksa paste if you like it spicy.
More Asian soup recipes to try
If you tried this Easy Vegetarian Laksa or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Easy Vegetarian Laksa comes together in under 30 minutes and is packed with delicious flavours!
- 2 tbsp Laksa paste (can sub Thai red or yellow curry paste)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 Litre vegetable broth
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1–2 tbsp tamari (can sub soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 8oz noodles, cooked (rice noodles or ramen noodles)
- 1 pack soft tofu, cut into cubes
- Bok Choy, chopped or any other dark leafy green you love
- Preheat a large pot on the stove on medium-high heat then add the Laksa paste and curry powder and let toast for 30 seconds.
- Add the lemongrass, broth, coconut milk, tamari and brown sugar to the pot and bring to a boil mixing everything together, then cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked noodles, soft tofu and bok choy to the soup and bring to a boil letting everything cook together for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
. It should start to sizzle just slightly. This helps release all the aromas and “toasts” the paste, which will help bring out the flavour.
If using a Thai curry paste instead of laksa paste, add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder to the pot to get that vibrant yellow Laksa colour.
DO NOT cook your noodles directly in the soup broth. they will absorb all the soup liquid and you will be left with very little broth. Cook them separately, then add them to the soup when you’re ready to serve.
Taste as you go and adjust seasoning as needed. Depending on the brand of broth you use, you may find you need a bit more or less tamari or soy sauce. You can also add some more laksa paste if you like it spicy.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 5g
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: vegetarian laksa, vegan laksa